Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who is stickin with older lead loads;aka not switching to longbeards

Started by jakesdad, March 30, 2014, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Who here of the old lead shooters is stickin with older lead ammo,you know the old federals,grey box winnies,black box winnie HV,etc and not making the switch to the LBs?

Im kinda getting tired of trying and retrying load/choke combos every year and have pretty much decided i'm for the most part just gonna hang on to what has worked for me in the past.Figure it'll save me some $$ and a lot of frustration in the long run :z-dizzy:

This is NOT a knock on anyone trying different combos if thats what one likes to do,so lets not start down that path.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Longshanks

I easily converted two of my 870's over to Win LB's. All I did was move my sights down a bit. Easy conversion. Shoot the XX and HV out of a couple of my other guns. Best thing is see is folks struggling to get 100 in a 10" @ 40 after trying allot of chokes and shells are easily able to turn their guns into 180+ set ups. I would say if you are happy with the way your guns shoots..no reason to change.

old3toe

I'm gonna shoot a traditional lead load this year just like last year. I'm tempted to try the longbeards but really see no need. The shells are already 18-25 dollars a box. With so many buying them up and the popular reviews given I'm quite sure they'll be 30-38 dollars a box next spring. Might as well shoot hevi shot or other hd or hw load. But that's what I'm going away from. Don't get me wrong i think they're great if you need them and can afford them. Certain places I've been on away hunts i have more open field opportunities and the possibility to mis judge distance on a bird or birds so i have some hd loads stuck back for those hunts. But the other majority of my hunts will be in close range jungle like terrain so there's no need for me to keep over spending for hd loads when all i really need is a solid cheap lead load.

Longshot

I get 119 in the 10" and 282 (total) in the 20" with Fed Turkey Thugs. I am really happy with that and don't see a need to switch over.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

jlawson382

I've got a few more shells from last year that produced a pattern I liked, so I'm not going to change things until I shoot those up.  Most of the places I have available to hunt aren't going to produce many 60-yard shot opportunities anyway.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I simply don't have the money for new chokes and shells this spring.  It has caught me at a bad time this year.  If I had known that the shells would quickly get better, I probably wouldn't have stocked up on the older stuff I have.  But I'm broke now anyway, so I still wouldn't be stocking up on the new shells.

aimhard

I stocked up before my retirement in Feb. I guess I'll stay with that plan.

surehuntsalot

I,m sticking with what has worked for me over the years,don't need them.
I,m not into the little holes in a piece of paper.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

memert116

I'm going to try the LB's to see how they pattern but unless there is a significant improvement I will stick with my HV's or premier magnums.....all in 3" #5's

knightrider

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 31, 2014, 07:27:49 PM
first let me say this is not an attack or judgement on you but i have read that so many times on here and i just don't understand that staement. more holes in a sheet of paper equalls more holes in a gobblers noggin. maybe I'm wrong though

jakesdad

Quote from: knightrider on March 31, 2014, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 31, 2014, 07:27:49 PM
first let me say this is not an attack or judgement on you but i have read that so many times on here and i just don't understand that staement. more holes in a sheet of paper equalls more holes in a gobblers noggin. maybe I'm wrong though

I think what he's saying is that some people(me included) would rather have a solid but bigger pattern as opposed to trying to get as many as possible in a 10" circle.While I like to have good numbers in the 10" myself,I look at how a pattern performs outside of that magical 10" circle.Im looking for good even coverage out around the 15" mark if I can get.I can look at a pattern and tell if its one I want to hunt with without having to count a bunch of holes.Nothing wrong with either way of doing it though.Use whatever gives you the most confidence in your setup.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotei have read that so many times on here and i just don't understand that staement.

I think he's just not into the numbers game, to the extent of having to keep chasing bigger and bigger numbers; since he knows that 100, 120, 140, etc. will work fine.

I recently shot a pattern at a measured 40 Yards with #6 Strut Shok, NOT the Turkey Thugs load.

It had 90 in 10", with a total of 151 in 15".  There were no holes big enough for a turkey to slip through.  Not an impressive number, but a nice even pattern.  He'd probably hunt with it.

WildTigerTrout

I'm sticking with the Win "Supreme"  HV 3 1/2" 2 oz. #6 shot in both my 10 and 12 ga. Also staying with the old Federal 3" 1 5/16 oz. of #6 shot and Win. 3" 1 5/16 oz. #5 shot in my 20 ga. I have enough of each to last quite a while and all these loads have worked fine in the past. I really see no reason to change.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

VanHelden Game Calls

Not me.  I have never been one to chase the numbers but after seeing the dense even patterns that the LB produced I can't not shoot them.  Its affordable and an easy test.

dawei

I'm sticking w/lead (Pb) albeit in a 20ga. I've been killing turkeys since 1978 and all of them were harvested w/#4 Pb. I see no reason to change at this late date. I will continue to use Pb for all my turkey hunting until WDFW changes the rules or the good Lord calls me home. My two turkey guns do best with Winchester® Supreme® & Double-X™. 

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given