North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Benelli SBE II with Indian Creek .665 load choice

Started by brimmyfish, March 29, 2014, 11:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learn2hide

shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

2much2loud

I have an SBE2 IC .665 an shoot MagBlends ... Put up around 200

brimmyfish

Here are the results with the mag blends. They kick like a mule!!! White paper is at 25 yds and the brown paper is 40 yards. Put 166 in the 10" circle at 40. But shot a little low at 40. Is this normal for hevi shot since it's heavier than lead?

learn2hide

better a little low than a little high and over the bird but that is pretty low at 40...sight adjustment if that's what you choose to hunt with...you shouldn't see that much of a drop at all it's just shooting low.  I can tell you that my set up doesnt' love MagBlends either, it shoots them about 40-60 pellets less in 10" at 40 yards compared to the Straight 6's...and I re-shot the LongBeard XR #5 yesterday and got 197 in 10" with that when the MagBlend I shot 20 mins earlier was only about 150.  Keep working on it you'll find the right combo.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

2much2loud

I shot today to sight in the speed bead ... I am shooting same combo and forgot how bad those shells tear up your shoulder... Anyways after getting all sighted in the barrel was dirty but did get 180 and 194 in the 10" ... My gun and IC choke shoot as low as yours does... Doesn't matter with the red dot tho... Dot on the head squeeze trigger.... Good luck this year

2much2loud

Didn't take a pic this year but this is last years

Cut N Run

I shoot a SBE II with a TruGlo SSX .643 that hates Mag Blends.   It puts ~200 of 3" Hevi 7s pretty evenly in 10" at 40 yards pretty consistently.  The 3" Hevi 6s are close to that number as well. I really haven't counted lately, I just look for even coverage. Outside the 10" ring is covered nicely with either load too.  I probably wouldn't waste any Hevi shot on a 25 yard target...every turkey load should crush a gobbler at that range.   I've only shot at 5 gobblers with 3" Hevi 6s or 7s so far, but it thumped every one...bad.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

brimmyfish

Well I ran across a deal I couldn't refuse on some Hevi-13 3 1/2" 1 3/4 oz #6's. The gunshop had them for a while so I got 3 boxes at a good price. This is the first pattern I shot at 40 yards, and I pulled it. I shot a second time but at 25 yards just to make sure that the POA and POI were gonna be the same.

Here is the pattern at a lasered 40. 210 in 10"

Here is the 25 yard pattern

dfresh55

look slike you got it there! :OGturkeyhead:  i know indian creek reccomends the reg hevi over the belnd

BINK McCARTY

I have the same type set up....try both 3" & 3 1/2" MagBlends....the reason i say this is b/c the straight #6,#7 heavy shot is only fired at 1090 fps. Blend is 1200fps dont sound like much but believe u me its the difference in straight #6,7 shot stickin half way out of a 5/8" piece of particle board and the blend blowing ALMOST all the way thru....not to mention u have 3 different size pellets not just the one. IMO....go with the blend but shoot both 3" and 3 1/2" . GOOD LUCK!!!!

Borden811

I'm having a hard time believing that 110fps is the difference between pellets of the same size and density sticking half way out of a target backer, or blowing almost all the way through.

ridgerunner

Quote from: Borden811 on April 15, 2015, 06:39:16 PM
I'm having a hard time believing that 110fps is the difference between pellets of the same size and density sticking half way out of a target backer, or blowing almost all the way through.

shoot em and get back to us...

Borden811

Been shooting them for years, hence the reason for my post.

ridgerunner

Quote from: Borden811 on April 15, 2015, 08:27:34 PM
Been shooting them for years, hence the reason for my post.

Then you know 110 FPS makes a difference in penetration, since you shot both.

Borden811

Reading comprehension issues? I never said it didn't make a difference. I simply said 110 fps more isn't going to drive a pellet of the same density and size almost all the way through a 5/8 particle board target backer, when the pellet going 110 fps slower barely stuck in it.