turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Longbeard #s

Started by 340_Dart, March 29, 2014, 11:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

340_Dart

Finally got to try out some 3" #5 shells in my 21" 870. The gun barrel has been deep cleaned and is wearing a Jelly Head .660

I was previously shooting winchester XX 3-2-5s and averaged around 90-100 in the 10"@ 40yds lasered. Shot a 123 in the 10" and 252 in the 20" with the first and only shot I took with the longbeards. It was a nice even pattern which a turkey can't walk through. Much more even then my pattern of XX. Made me a believer in the longbeards. I Would like to try my ventilator choke with these shells, I just need to find some more!

Struttin Spurs

Nice! I also felt like the LBs had a nice even pattern out of my gun too.

340_Dart

Thanks. I feel the longbeards are a definite improvement in my gun, which is only a mediocre shooter compared to other guns on here.  The even pattern is more important to me than a strong 10" number at 40yds. Gives me more room for error!

memert116

I'm hoping for the same results in my Beretta 391 26" barrel using the LB 3" #5's.  I will be using a SumToy 650.  I've been using Win HV's #5's with a factory full choke.

Longshanks

Quote from: memert116 on March 30, 2014, 12:03:18 AM
I'm hoping for the same results in my Beretta 391 26" barrel using the LB 3" #5's.  I will be using a SumToy 650.  I've been using Win HV's #5's with a factory full choke.

You should see an amazing improvement. Patterns are going to extremely tight compared to your original set up. Aim small miss small. Good luck!

tyelper

i shot the 3 1/2 in my benelli with an ic choke at 40 yards got 140 in the 10'',,,,,and noticed the wad was only about 6 yards from target,,,,but a great pattern,,,,,

340_Dart

Got out and shot a few more shots today. First shot was an almost exact back up with the #5 long beards and my Jellyhead .660 . This one was 122 in the 10".
I then tried my remington super full .665 choke and the #5s. I didn't bother to count it, as you could just look at it and see it wasn't as uniform a the Jellyhead pattern.
Lastly, I tried my Jellyhead with a longbeard 3" #6, as I lucked into a box last week. The pattern was notable higher than my #5s but very nice. I counted 156 in the 10" with it.

So it looks like either 5s or 6s work with my Jellyhead .660

learn2hide

nice...next up fried turkey!!
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

340_Dart