Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Walk of Shame

Started by FullChoke, March 29, 2014, 07:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I found another willing participant out on public land last Wednesday, but just couldn't get the magic to happen. I went back in Thursday morning from a different direction and wound up in his harem's boudoir - saw 6 hens on the roost. I woke up this morning and the weather radar showed that the line of thunderstorms had cleared out about 3:00 am from around here so I headed back in there this morning, determined to avoid the eyes and ears of the concubines to try and get down to him. He started cranking up right where he was supposed to be. I headed in towards him, wading through stormwater in planted pines that almost topped my boots. Finally found some dry territory and eased up to within 70 yards of him on the roost. I set up and clucked a little and scratched in the pine needles and waited. Directly, he flies down in front of me and slips over to a spot about 35 yards out to get a better look at his first mystery date of the day. I put the red dot on the red part, squozed and jumped up. Nothing. No flopping, no wingbeats, no beak in no dirt, no feathers, no-to-the-thang. I missed him totally! I scoured the woods looking for anything for 15 minutes when what to my wondering ears do appear? He gobbles about 100 yards away! Twice! I took a deep breath, smiled and said, "Next."

I headed to the house, grabbed some paper, and shells and headed out to the woods to get to the bottom of this surrealistic mishap. My first shot at 10 yards was 6" low of the POA! Gaaah! I shot again and enlarged the hole. I made some adjustments and shot at 20, 30 and 40 yards to confirm the changes. We are now on target again. I have no idea how this sight could have gotten that far off. To my shame, I did not check that the POI/POA was still good before the season, so I flatly deserve the spanking I got this morning.  :z-dizzy: Tomorrow we dance again.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Hooter

Dang!!! Sorry to hear Norman!!  Hate it when you go through all of that, and have a dead bird in front of you, and then have a technical problem.
Now I remember why I have stuck to a bead all these years.
Just don't trust them things!

gophert

That stuff makes me sick at my stomach!

surehuntsalot

I do not trust any type of optic's on a firearm
until I'm declared legally blind,I'll be shooting sights or a bead
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

I used beads and fiber optic sights for many years and they worked just fine. I didn't want to have to change over to a mechanical sighting device, but I began having trouble getting everything to focus and line up correctly with the progressive lens in my glasses. The red dot sight has helped me get over this problem, while obviously presenting me with another. I hope that I have settled the problem with the sight for the rest of time and can get back to dropping these antagonizing rascals in their tracks again.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

:character0029:
That will make you mad right there.