OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Called Indian Creek

Started by talltines, March 15, 2011, 08:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talltines

Well I took some advice and called Indian Creek about my pattern with their choke and the Hevi 13  7s were putting up out of my 835.  (I was getting around 200 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards)   The guy I talked to said they were getting several complaints about the Hevi 7s this year not doing what they should, he seemed to think it was probably a bad batch of ammo.  Any way he said to try the Winchester extended range in # 6 shot.     What do you think?  What kind of patterns should I expect from the Winchesters?

Skeeterbait

835, 24" well polished barrel, IC .675 choke, Winchester XRHD 3.5" #6, laser ranged 40 yards, 10" circle, 75 degrees, 225 pellets.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

That's a "very" good pattern for #6's.  I've only been able to better those numbers with Hevi13 #7's.  Although, I do use 3" shells exclusively.

bowhunter84

drum817

GREAT pattern.....that is the same combo I use in my 835 as well  :icon_thumright:

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

sugarray

Look at your whole pattern, is it even, cover the 20" and the 10" well?  If so, then you have a great turkey killing pattern.

I would probably be looking to improve as well, but you really don't need to.  If you are unhappy send the choke back and get a refund then get a PG .670.

The Win XRHD will prove to be a great load I believe as well.  The results speak for themselves.   You will just have to shoot to see.  You can just step up to the Hevi #6 too, same density of the pellets and you can get 2 1/4 oz in a 3.5" shell.

S.C.C

Sounds close to KICK's gt advice!!! :TooFunny:

stick bow

Try as many different shells that you can afford to. Yesterday I was patterning at 41 yds with my new gun 870 supermag with IC .665 with max blends 3 1/2", and the winchester extended range 3" 6's good numbers all around 250. Then I tried some winchester supremes 6's 3" got 242 but the patterns is so even and tight with no holes.

bird

Bad batch of ammo, yeah right!  If that is what the guy said then I would say that is a piss poor excuse for lack of performance.  I haven't heard of any other choke companies having performance problems with Hevi-13 #7's.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 15, 2011, 09:47:53 AM
Yeah, I know a guy that is shooting the #7s, and only getting around 210-215 with a Browning Gold and .675 IC, was getting less with the .665. He shot one yesterday, and had to shoot him again to finish him. First off I would have thought he would have gotten a better pattern, and so did Stuart at IC. I am going to let him pattern some 3" and 3.5" #6s Ive had for a few years, to see what they do in his gun. Could be the shells.

Well here's what I experienced the other day which leads me to say that it is in fact the shells.  I shot this one through a clean choke with the Star Dot in my 835.  

Then I shot this one from the exact same lot number form the same box and same choke.  Look at the difference.  That is huge.  No doubt in my mind now it was the shells.  No choke will drop off that much from one shot.  There is only 209 shot in that 10" circle.  The 20" sucked as well.   That shell sucked.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

bird

Maybe you all should post the batch numbers off your boxes so that you can compare the numbers and see if indeed it is the shells.

lightsoutcalls

I use Hevi #6 shot with my 870 with the Indian Creek choke.  It is a turkey killing machine!  It works great with the 4x5x7 Nitros as well.  I hope I never have to make the choice again, but dropped a bird stone dead at 70 yards with the Hevi #6 load and Indian Creek choke in KS last spring.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ILIKEHEVI-13

I then proceeded to shoot these patterns with the same box of shells  through 2 different chokes afterwards.  Only shot one shot in each choke with the same load of Hevi-13 3.5" #7's from the same lot above.

At first I thought it was the Star Dot choke taking a spell or something.  But now I'm convinced I got a bad shell.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have never had to reclean a choke after every shot to get consistent numbers.  All 3 of my 835 chokes will shoot with the best of them time and time again. 

talltines

Guess I will try the Winchesters and see what they will do.  If that dont improve my numbers then I may look at trying the PG 670.  May have to go ahead and use what I have this year though my wife may not let me buy another 80 dollar choke.