turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to do if my pot calls get wet?

Started by Muzzy61, March 28, 2014, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Question for the call makers or anyone with expericence.

I've been lucky enough to never get my calls wet, I take 1 or 2 gallon size freezer bags in my vest to store stuff if it statrs raining. By I had a buddy of mine get caught in a soaker yesterday. He was asking me what he should do, and honestlyly I didn't have a good answer for him.

So what is the best thing to do, just lay them out to dry or is there something else he should have done.

Thanks
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

outdoors

I WOOD LET IT AIR DRY INSIDE OF YOUR HOME KNOT IN THE SUN
IF INSIDE OF THE CALL WASN'T TREATED THERES A GOOD CHANCE THAT THERES
GOING TOBE SOME WARPING ,,, NOT GOOD ,,, 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

memert116

You might try hanging it, inside, so that the holes are facing down so that the moisture can drain but also setting a fan to blow cool air lightly into the call so that nothing pools and creates some evaporation.   If it got too wet, it may end up being like a cellphone in that it works for awhile but will never be the same.... :(

Ctburdchasr

This happened to me as well, my father gave me this idea about 15 years ago,
shake out as much water as possible if it got inside the call.
then I take a lasagna pan or deep pie pan and a couple of pencils I lay the pencils inside the pan and place the pot call on top of them holes down. then I cover the whole thing in dry uncooked rice over night and usually that will help to where atleast the wood ones will not warp out. it helps more than just air drying.

TauntoHawk

uncooked rice or place infront of a dehumidifer are best options
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pauld

Uncooked rice is a great bet.

Honestly, if the call is CA finished, inside and out, let the moisture dry out of it and rock and roll! Don't know what finish your call had, though.

stone road turkey calls

Put a towel on the floor in front of your refrigerator, put your call face down proped up about a inch on the towel, sound holes facing the fridge. the warm air from the cooling fan will have it dry as a bone in the morning. works on your wet boots also.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Old Gobbler

If you want to destroy any turkey call .....put in on the dashboard of your car , I promise it will warp , crack or separate that turkey call
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hunter62

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 30, 2014, 08:59:10 PM
If you want to destroy any turkey call .....put in on the dashboard of your car , I promise it will warp , crack or separate that turkey call

x2