OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

help w/ compact binos?

Started by powderfinger, May 08, 2015, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powderfinger

looking for  a  pair that I can keep out of the way while fall gobbler hunting.best optics in a light weight pair...ty

grayfox

Really depends on how much you want to spend. With optics you get what you pay for as they say. I had the Nikon ProStaff ATB 8x25 before & they were pretty good for the money. The optics are pretty good for the price & they are very lightweight & compact.  Right now I have the Pentax 9X28 below & at $159.95 that's a steal at that price. The optics in these are very good for that price. They are not as compact as the Nikon's but they have better optics. I've tried a bunch & these were some of my favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-62599-9x28-DCF-Binocular/dp/B0014PYBHI

Onpoint

Quote from: powderfinger on May 08, 2015, 07:41:25 PM
looking for  a  pair that I can keep out of the way while fall gobbler hunting.best optics in a light weight pair...ty
I have a pair of steiner compacts that are pretty nice

Tennessee Lead

I borrowed a pair of Nikon Travelite's that I really liked. I plan on purchasing a pair.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

powderfinger

I have a pair of  Swarovski  8X30 SLC's... 19 0z.   I should have said mini binos as opposed to compact. sorry.  I know minis are rather poor optically, but what I want just for this specific use.. any suggestions would be appreciated!

alloutdoors

If you want the best optics look at the compacts from Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica. Find a place to handle them if you can, optically they will be similar so it's mostly personal preference on the ergonomics. I was interested in the Zeiss 10x25s earlier this year but tried them at Cabelas next to a pair of Leica 10x25 Geovids and preferred the Leica's handling. I eventually wound up with a pair of 10x25 Ultravids because I found a demo pair for the same price Cabelas wanted for the Geovids. I carry them with me every day, unlike my full size binocs that I had mostly given up carrying because of the weight. You can get them in an 8x20 version also.

powderfinger

Quote from: alloutdoors on May 10, 2015, 01:19:00 PM
If you want the best optics look at the compacts from Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica. Find a place to handle them if you can, optically they will be similar so it's mostly personal preference on the ergonomics. I was interested in the Zeiss 10x25s earlier this year but tried them at Cabelas next to a pair of Leica 10x25 Geovids and preferred the Leica's handling. I eventually wound up with a pair of 10x25 Ultravids because I found a demo pair for the same price Cabelas wanted for the Geovids. I carry them with me every day, unlike my full size binocs that I had mostly given up carrying because of the weight. You can get them in an 8x20 version also.

>>> true, the big 3 are optically equal . ibought my 8x30 's since they felt best and were the lightest. I like ur Leica's. also the the Nikon travelers too. need to handle them. just like a weapon, balance and ergonomics are crucial..thanks to all!

decoykrvr

One of the best binoculars on the market today and at a very good price are the Carson's.  Check out the models w/ ED glass which compare optically w/ many quality binoculars at twice the price.

Greg Massey

All you need is a small pair of nikon .....don't have to spend a lot .... most of the time you want be looking more than a 100 yrs...Travelite or something around that size...