OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Close

Started by surehuntsalot, March 24, 2014, 08:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

but no cigar,
Finally heard my first gobble of the season sat. morning,he gobbled 4 times in the tree,I moved in on him.
When he flew down,the party started,I thought there was a hunter behind every tree.I had never heard so much yelping and clucking from hens in my life.After he was on the ground,he gobbled 5 more time,but he wasn't studying me,the hens started carrying him away from me,I challenged the boss hen ,but she would have no part of it.
The "party" crossed the power line around 60-70 yds above me,1 gobbler and 15 hens,I followed and looped around ahead of them several times,but each time I called the hens turned the other way.
I went back to the power line that afternoon to see if the gobbler might come back into the area.
Nothing from 3:00 until 6:00 when 11 hens fed out on to the power line,about 20 minutes later several more hens showed up,but no boy friend.
I watched them until they flew up at dark.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

There you go Steve. Feels good to hear that you were at least in the game. Hens, can't live with them, can't shoot them. Hope the eggs start falling soon.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gophert

Last week, here in Middle TN, the boys were with all the hens.  Saturday and then this morning I have noticed that at 9:00 am, the gobblers are all by themselves.  Man I hope that trend continues!  I have never had a lot of luck calling them off a huge group of hens.  When I piss off the boss hen, she does exactly what your's did, takes them the other way. 

Good luck and stay at it Steve!