turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening afternoon bird

Started by honker22, March 22, 2014, 11:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honker22

Long story short... I have weekend duty at the paper mill this weekend so I am on call and have to attend an 8am meeting, so I knew off the roost hunting was out of the picture. My plan was to hunt a sweet piece of property that I have "sole turkey hunting rights", from one of my vendors who doesn't turkey hunt. Well I drove by at daylight just to check and low and behold someone else has turkey rights too I guess. No need to confront him bc I have no idea who he has told in the past...

Fast forward to this afternoon.  My dad has been hearing a few birds around a cutover on our lease. He hunted this morning but they headed off the property and shut up. I went out around 230pm, really just wanting a nice woods nap. I tried a few places, heard nothing, took a nap. Texted the wife and said I want to boil some shrimp and headed out across the cutover. I looked on the hill as I'm easing across and spot birds. Luckily they don't see me. It was 3 LBs and a handful of hens. I'm crawled over a cut ditch keeping my eyes on them. I make a few calls and they look my way but never responded. Eventually they head my general direction. I lost sight of some of the birds but kept my eyes on the dominant bird and the hens. All of a sudden, 15 yards away a longbeard flushes up, he saw me moving my binocs up to my eyes. I grab my gun and then I see a blue head just staring at me at 25 yards. Put the eotech on his feathers and let the 20 ga and TSS 9s eat.

A fat 2 year old. Pulled the trigger around 650pm.

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

anthonyjhallen

Thats a long beard for a two year old. Very nice!!