Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

3-22-14 Outdoor Dream Foundation Hunt

Started by ccleroy, March 22, 2014, 02:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

Had the privilege to be asked to help out with the Outdoor Dreams Foundation Hunt this year, first what a worthy cause and great kids to be around, I can't explain how happy this made me. This is Derek Wardlaw a kidney transplant recipient and future turkey killer....he was patient, quiet, and all around better than 90% of the people I hunt with and is flat out eat up with the turkey bug. Our hunt had us placed in a field turkeys have been frequenting which was hosted by a generous landowner in the area, we heard a good bit of birds early in morning, soon after there were 4-5 jakes that were killing it making there way to our setup which ended up running off longbeards which sealed their fate. As they approached our setup I asked Derek if he wanted to shoot a jake, heavy breathing he says Yes, and when they reach the magic threshold I give him the greenlight and he absolutely crushed this fool with Del Crows 870 20 gauge shooting Fed heavyweight 7's. He was ecstatic and so was I......high fives and some hooting and hollering were in order after that.

alloutdoors

merocustomcalls

Gimme his info!  This young man is getting a trumpet!

ccleroy

Quote from: merocustomcalls on March 22, 2014, 06:13:22 PM
Gimme his info!  This young man is getting a trumpet!

Brian I just sent him a text and will be getting his address ect to you......thank you brother, words can't describe how appreciative I am. He was one of a few kids playing Del's massive trumpet selection yesterday and was doing great job running one considering he just picked it up.....he'll be ecstatic!

Ricky

savduck

Man what a great hunt we all had with the kids. Im back in any time they ask for help. I ended calling in a longbeard around 4 for Jordan. He got shook up and missed but was grinning from ear to ear.

Our boys were the only two to pull on a trigger.
Georgia Boy