Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone shooting an 835 factory .695 with lead?

Started by old3toe, March 21, 2014, 05:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

Just thought i would give a little update. I tried the kicks .685 my friend had and it was better than factory choke but still wasn't great with 4's. 5's and 6's were nice and even and would deffinitely kill at forty yards but i still kinda wanted to shoot the 4's. Particularly the super x gray box 3" 1.875 load. My buddy shot the LB in his 24" 835 with the kicks .685 at 40 yards and got 224 in 10"..very impressive!! Anyway i picked up a hs strutt under taker ..695 on clearance for 13.00 and thought id try it since some have had good results with this choke and shot size. My first shot at 40 yards was 91 in the 10". Then 87 and then 88. First shot was clean barrel. This is along thelines i was looking for with this shell and gun atleast till i decide it isn't killin em good enough.lol I'll eventually try some other chokes and loads down the road but this cheap setup sure made my day.

old3toe

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: ohiomossyoak on March 21, 2014, 07:18:29 PM
I am a complete newbie and have a older 24in barrel 835 with the factory "Ulti-full choke.Im going to try Federal Turkey thugs 3 1/2s #5 and see how they do..Also adding williams fire sights slugger series..I will let ya know the results once I find out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Oldtoe I figure I would give ya a update as my plan may have changed from what I previously posted.

I picked up a box of LongBeard 3in/6s the other day to try..And my buddy at work surprised me with a Ported Truglo Gobble-stopper Extreme choke .695(to borrow)..Now I realize its the same constriction as my factory choke,but its worth a try..I picked up the 835 used about 5 years ago an its an the factory choke had been abused..I am pretty sure I even saw a rust bubble inside the factory choke..That cant be good right?  :TooFunny: .
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

old3toe

Ha ha i'd think a rust bubble wouldn't exactly enhance your patterns!lol You can probably polish it out though with some emery cloth or steel wool or even dremel tool as long as the actual choke isn't bulged itself. Those LB 3" 6's should do well. The ones my buddy shot the 224 in 10" with kicks .685 were the 3.5 6's. The 3" LB loads seem to be shooting as good as the 3.5's too. I tried the 3" no 5's in my factory choke and undertaker and they were ok but would deffinitely have to limit shots to 35yds maybe 40 max. No doubt a tighter choke would have been very nice but i'll save that for another day. I couldn't find a ssx local and didn't want to order one this close to season. Its next on my list too. lol Looks like you've done your home as well!!

surehuntsalot

Have used the .695 Undertaker choke for my 835,it loves the Federal 3.5" pre FC 2-1/4oz 5's and 6's  and the Winchester XX Magnum 2-1/4 oz 4's,5's, and 6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

old3toe

I forgot to add in my previous post the 3" 5's i tried were the fed turkey thugs not longbeards. Don't want to mislead anyone.  I'll keep an eye out for some 3.5 inch 4's from winchester and federal. Also i failed to mention i believe i scrubbed the barrel while still new then polished it good. Then shot several patterns two different days then scrubbed then polished then scrubbed again.lol Then patterned ten more shots. Probably leave it dirty the first week of season before i clean again. It is amazing how much easier a barrel is to clean that's been polished versus a factory bore. Season comes in saturday here so maybe i'll get to break her in!! Can't wait!!

jblackburn

I have an 835 with a 24 inch barrel and a Mossberg Ulti full extended tube.  Not sure of constriction, but with 3.5 inch. 2 1/4 Win XX 6's (red shell) I consistently get 150s in a 10 inch at 40, best is 157.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

PEHunter

Quote from: jblackburn on April 11, 2014, 01:15:12 AM
I have an 835 with a 24 inch barrel and a Mossberg Ulti full extended tube.  Not sure of constriction, but with 3.5 inch. 2 1/4 Win XX 6's (red shell) I consistently get 150s in a 10 inch at 40, best is 157.

I had good results with this combination as well.

old3toe

Thats a nice pattern with those 3.5 double x 6's. I shot them in my factory choke and they done around 100 in 10". And a little better in the kicks .685 GT. So far from what i can tell with 5's and 6's in my gun with 20" barrel the tighter choke in shorter barrel seems to be holding true. I am impressed with this gun though because i have yet to shoot a single load and choke combo that didn't throw an even huntable pattern. Some were more open than others deffinitely but I've shot several guns, loads, and chokes that weren't even countable. Also poi between chokes and different loads have been pretty close. Which you get a little more wiggle room with the more open choke and lead versus the heavy loads and super tight patterns. Something I'm curious about is what a load of no 4 lead and no 7 heavy shot pattern would look like! Be kinda like the 4's buffered with the 7's.

WV TURKEY THUG

i shot the thugs 3 inch 5 shot and longbeard 5 shot and both of them will kill a turkey out to 40 yds i was using ulti mag choke