Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone shooting an 835 factory .695 with lead?

Started by old3toe, March 21, 2014, 05:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

Hey guys I've read a lot on here and haven't seen many if any lead loads and factory .695 choke patterns. I have a few turkey guns but am tired of the long barrels on the two i use a lot and not sure if i'll use the 20 ga a lot this year. I couldn't find a barrel for the benelli and the super x2 was around 4-500 dollars. I found a nice mossberg 835 20" barrel on clearance rack new for 349.99. I picked it up and since I've gone away from hevi and hd loads figure ill try the factory choke. I really like the lead 5's and have used 4's with good results but am new to this gun and  all my other chokes fit the other turkey guns.I'm looking for a nice even pattern at 40yds. doesn't have to cut their heads off like the other guns.lol I've had awesome results with lead and benelli nova but there's a big difference in these two barrels. If the mossberg will shoot as good as the 26" barrel nova ill be in heaven and a super lucky guy!! The mossberg is already deep cleaned and polished. would have started shooting by now but as you know the weather has been terrible this year. thanks

Tom Foolery

Mine shot much better with a Stardot .676 choke but my old 835 did good with Winchester HV 3.5" 2oz #5's and did better with the Win 3.5" 2.25oz #5's from the factory choke.  It did pretty good with 4's, but you wont get real big numbers with #4's usually.

If I were you and I was going to shoot lead I would get a box of the 3.5" Winchester Long Beards in #5 shot for that setup. 

ohiomossyoak

I am a complete newbie and have a older 24in barrel 835 with the factory "Ulti-full choke.Im going to try Federal Turkey thugs 3 1/2s #5 and see how they do..Also adding williams fire sights slugger series..I will let ya know the results once I find out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

old3toe

Thank you for the replies. I'll try those winchester 5's. I think i have two or three of those to pattern. I'll keep an eye on here for the report. on the federal thugs. Thanks again

WildSpur

I have the same gun and am anxiously awaiting a nice day to shoot.   It will be with the factor .695 and the new longbeards in 3.5" #5.  Should be a good combination.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

old3toe

First of all i apologize for starting this post in the wrong area. I will do better in the future. I did get to shoot this setup i posted about. They weren't record breaking patterns but good hunting patterns. I shot six different loads at 41 yards from 2 3/4" up to 3 1/2 inch. I was impressed considering some of the other guns and lead loads I've worked with.  If i get them counted before i go to bed ill post some pics.

TBab

I shot my 835 with the factory choke and 3.5 in Longbeard XR 2oz #5's and got 150 in the 10'' at 40. Nice even pattern.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

old3toe

That's a very good pattern with lead 5's!!
Here's one i shot today with 3.5" hv 2oz 5's at 41 yds.

old3toe

Here's one with win xx 3.5" 6's 2.25 oz at the same distance.

TBab

try the longbeards. they seem to be workin for everyone lol
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

DirtNap647

try longbeards and pickup a choke in the 670-680 range

kwild835

With the factory .695 and 3" LB #5's my bro's 835 put 110 in 10" circle.  Nice even pattern.  The .670 bone collector did 175 in the 10"

alclark2

If you're hanging onto the factory choke I'd try some of the LongBeards. They shoot really tight in my Indian Creek .675 but would probably be perfect for a factory setup.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

reflexl

With the pre-flight control Federal 3-2-6 mine would put 160-170 in the 10' circle with the factory choke. I thought about sticking it back in and trying the long beards. reflexl

old3toe

Thanks everyone. I tried to post a nice long post twice earlier today.lol wouldn't work for some reason.
I'll keep the advise in mind. If i try the longbeards i'll let ya know. I do have a chance to try a kicks choke
in it as well. I love kicks lead patterns. I'll update when i get to shoot again.