OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which set up would you use?

Started by northms, March 20, 2014, 11:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I'm trying to put a set up together for my girlfriend who wants to hunt turkeys with me this year. She is petite but has experience shooting deer rifles before but I want to find a combo that doesn't knock her into kingdom come.

I have a 20 gauge Mossberg but the problem is it is an older fixed barrel with modified choke. I have 3" federal #6 for it to shoot. I had a member tell me I could just put a high quality dove/skeet load in my 12 gauge Mossberg with turkey choke and have just as much killing power out to 25 yards or so and it wouldn't kick.

I plan to be in a blind also where she could rest the gun on a monopod to steady. What combo would you go with? Thanks

shadetree callers

I recommend only using turkey loads. Dove/skeet loads are not made for turkeys and you dont want to risk injuring a bird. Try hevi shot #5 in 3''.

stinkpickle

Have her practice with the light loads and then slip in the turkey loads when it comes time to hunt.  She won't notice the kick when shooting at turkeys.

CrustyRusty

Agreed just don't ever tell her. 

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 20, 2014, 12:20:11 PM
Have her practice with the light loads and then slip in the turkey loads when it comes time to hunt.  She won't notice the kick when shooting at turkeys.

drum817

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 20, 2014, 12:20:11 PM

This^^^  or try a 2 3/4" 12ga turkey load
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Gooserbat

Like others said let her shoot some dove loads for fun and then shoot the  turkey loads while hunting and the 2 3/4 might not be a bad idea.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

northms

BandedSpur

I was the guy, and if you think this pattern won't kill every turkey you center in the pattern to 35 yds, you are mistaken. And I said neither dove nor skeet, I said high quality target load in 7.5s. Good quality target loads (Win AA, Rem STS, Fed GM) use much better shot than dove loads and thus pattern tighter, and skeet loads are 9s.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dtrkyman

reduced recoil hevi shot round, just have her practice with target loads!

Bigspurs68

Yes, the light loads will kill a turkey. I still say give her a turkey load in that 20 or give her a 12. My girls and my wife are all small. They never complain about recoil. Ever. Turkeys have magic recoil reduction powers.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

BandedSpur

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on March 24, 2014, 11:40:12 PM
Yes, the light loads will kill a turkey. I still say give her a turkey load in that 20 or give her a 12. My girls and my wife are all small. They never complain about recoil. Ever. Turkeys have magic recoil reduction powers.

Indeed they do.

MossRem

2 and 3/4  12 gauge turkey loads have sent many a turkey to its doom and can still "seal the deal" at reasonable range. Unless you think she can handle the recoil, I don't know if a 3-inch load would be that great for her...unless she were shooting it out of a gas-operated semi-auto shotgun she could handle. A gas-op might be a good idea for her, anyway, they can help tame recoil.