turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke reccomendations

Started by OLE RASPY, March 14, 2011, 06:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

For a 500 mossberg model A 28 inch barrel.Its not a turkey edition gun or nuttin.It shoots up to 3 inch.Make a long story short i sold him this gun and i never patterend it.He wants to take it this year but i told him to wait so i can get the right choke and load combo for him.He will be shooting lead.He cant afford nuttin  much so ill be buying him this stuff.We are taking my gun this year since i already got it patterend and setup.
I am leaning toward the tight wad choke primos has,its not but 20 dollars and might pattern good out this gun.Any reccomendations.

chatterbox

Try a JH .660 with the Win HV. Shoots well out of my 535 which shares the same thread pattern.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: OLE RASPY on March 14, 2011, 06:11:11 PM
For a 500 mossberg model A 28 inch barrel.Its not a turkey edition gun or nuttin.It shoots up to 3 inch.Make a long story short i sold him this gun and i never patterend it.He wants to take it this year but i told him to wait so i can get the right choke and load combo for him.He will be shooting lead.He cant afford nuttin  much so ill be buying him this stuff.We are taking my gun this year since i already got it patterend and setup.
I am leaning toward the tight wad choke primos has,its not but 20 dollars and might pattern good out this gun.Any reccomendations.

I'd recommend 3" Winchester shells, either the HV with 1 3/4 oz. of #6 shot or the Gray Box shells (Walmart about $7.00) with 1 7/8 oz. of #6 shot through the tightest choke you can find for that gun. I like .640 to .650. With either of those shells, a tight choke and a "deep cleaned" barrel, he should do just fine.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VAHUNTER

i used a 500 for 10 or more years. i used Win. high velocity and Rem. Nitro's both in 6's. never had a problem killing birds. the .665JH would be a great choke for that gun
Good things come to those who wait

hunter82

i have the same gun.mine does well with the tightwad .660 choke and 3" winchester supreme hv 6 shot.it shoots alil better with my hastings .660 but the tightwad will perform good out to at least 40 yd.