OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 20ga patterning woes

Started by twyatt, April 25, 2020, 06:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 25, 2020, 06:15:37 PM
Looking at your pattern picture, I'm struck by how large some of the holes look.  Makes me wonder if your shells aren't mislabeled and you are shooting Federal's 7/9 blends.
Agree
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

twyatt

Not sure, box and shells are labeled 9's.   Have an Indian Creek .570 and some Apex 9's due in tomorrow, will be out shooting again Saturday morning and update with results.

davisd9

Quote from: twyatt on April 30, 2020, 11:55:17 AM
Not sure, box and shells are labeled 9's.   Have an Indian Creek .570 and some Apex 9's due in tomorrow, will be out shooting again Saturday morning and update with results.

If you are not happy with IC .570 let me know your price and I would be interested in buying it
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Living Water

I'm shooting 26" 870 20LWM with TsS 9's and primos tightwad and shooting 220/240 at 40
"You have to pay for every bird you kill and the coin you use to pay for them is time." Tom Kelly

albrubacker

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 26, 2020, 12:31:33 AM
is the tru glo choke a SSX or a GSX
The GSX is .565 and the SSX is .550
I have a SSX labeled .550 and I put a cheap micrometer on it and measures larger than my .570 Tightwad. Same with my 12ga labeled .643 measures larger than my Carlson .665
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

crow

Looking at your pattern picture, I'm struck by how large some of the holes look.  Makes me wonder if your shells aren't mislabeled and you are shooting Federal's 7/9 blends.

Federal had some TSS mislabeled at the factory, so it wouldn't matter where you bought them and you wouldn't.be able to tell by just looking, maybe they are strait TSS 7's, they don't look like 9's

shoot one at the 4x4' cardboard at 35yds, most all of the load should be on paper at that distance, count  all the holes and see if it's close to the number of pellets in a 1.5oz load of TSS 9's or of TSS 7's

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: crow on May 03, 2020, 09:29:04 AM

Federal had some TSS mislabeled at the factory, so it wouldn't matter where you bought them and you wouldn't.be able to tell by just looking, maybe they are strait TSS 7's, they don't look like 9's

shoot one at the 4x4' cardboard at 35yds, most all of the load should be on paper at that distance, count  all the holes and see if it's close to the number of pellets in a 1.5oz load of TSS 9's or of TSS 7's
Or just cut one open and count the shot and measure the diameters

crow

I did think of that, but shooting is always more fun.  :)

twyatt

Changed chokes and put in an Indian Creek .570, and got some Apex 9's.  Looks much better now.   Might even try the IC .575 in my other 870 20ga.  The 20yd pattern is really tight even with the 570

davisd9

Great looking patterns.  I would hunt that dog for sure!

redleg06

Ive only shot the hand loaded Tss 9's out of my 870 but if you're looking for a good hunting pattern, I'd start with the cheaper options:

-HS Undertaker .582 (if i remember right)
- Primos Tighwad 
- Remington Super Full (extended)

I've shot all 3 against the higher end chokes and, for hunting patterns anyway, had better luck with those 3. The Remington SF, in my guns at least, has been the ticket. My buddy (Sandman on here- maybe he'll chime in) shoots the same combo. Again, they're purely handloads, but they shoot nice even patterns that are 45-50 yd guns ALL DAY, but forgiving enough at 20 yds so you feel comfortable. They're all about 20-25$