OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Has anyone shot Winchester Longbeards thru a more open choke?

Started by archdriver, March 18, 2014, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

I will post them up tonight around 9pm central time. I forgot to do it last night.

I was surprised of the different between the shot size. 

VanHelden Game Calls

The splatter targets are the 4shot.
The paper bulls eye are 6's

20 and 40yrds measured.  I feel the pattern is large enough for me at both 20 and out to 40 for me.  Better then past lead loads I have shot.

ohiomossyoak

18yd 3in/6s Mossberg 835 24in ported pipe with ported .695 truglo gobble stopper extreme choke..

Swyped while swerving via mobile device

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

WyoHunter

Quote from: MuddyRiver on April 11, 2014, 01:12:29 PM
It seems strange to hear people not wanting to shoot LB because it shoots too tight.  For years everyone has been chasing the magic turkey choke that tightens up patterns! 
That's what I was thinking.   :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

VanHelden Game Calls

While I agree tight can be overly tight,  I also have a hard time blaming this load and shot pattern for a miss.

If a bird closes with in 30yrds I have no excuse but myself, even if its a 4" pattern. :z-twocents:

To me LB #4 are the ticket, the pattern is tight enough out to 40yrds using a hefty #4 in 3".  I can use a stock 870 with a "cheap" remington extended choke.  To me this is a great value compared to small shot HTL and the high $ chokes.

VanHelden Game Calls

No I did not, I mentioned if I cannot kill a bird at that range with a 4" projectile from a sighted in gun then its me not the gun/choke/load. And its not the combo I am shooting but how I am shooting, if I need a 20-25" pattern at any reasonable turkey range then its not poor equipment it poor marksmanship.

Bow to gun is not much of a comparison ???

I don't shoot flying turkeys so I don't follow your skeet analogy either.  To me turkey hunting is like large game and I pick my spot, aim small, wait for an angle and follow through.  I believe I would be just as successful at 40yrds and under using a .22

VanHelden Game Calls

And Pb loads 40yrd + and wounded birds go hand in hand.  I will take an unscathed close miss over wounded and rotten game.

If you want 40's your going to have tight 20's.  Its a shooting cone from a 3/4" barrel.

We all need to pick a combo that suits are ability and conditions. From my pics above the LB work great at a huge cost savings.  I have a nice 20yrd pattern I can kill all day with that gives a nice margin of error and dense enough at 40 to get the job done with confidence.

10gaugemag

I will be trying 3" 4's and 5's in an Invector+ and Remchoke set up with regular full chokes in each. 90% of my turkey hunting is done in the timber so a full choke is plenty tight even for a 40 yard shot. No need for anything tighter at those ranges.

packmule

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on May 13, 2014, 12:27:45 PM
While I agree tight can be overly tight,  I also have a hard time blaming this load and shot pattern for a miss.

If a bird closes with in 30yrds I have no excuse but myself, even if its a 4" pattern. :z-twocents:

To me LB #4 are the ticket, the pattern is tight enough out to 40yrds using a hefty #4 in 3".  I can use a stock 870 with a "cheap" remington extended choke.  To me this is a great value compared to small shot HTL and the high $ chokes.

Great post, I agree totally.  I've been super impressed with the 3" #4 LBs in my BPS this season through a Hastings choke.