OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Has anyone shot Winchester Longbeards thru a more open choke?

Started by archdriver, March 18, 2014, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archdriver

All the info that I  see  is  that  this new  load from winchester is pretty unique and shoots  very  tight ,   I have  seen  more  people say  they  are  scared  to  shoot such a tight  pattern that
they  might  not  even  want  to  hunt with it, so I  was  wondering if  anyone has  shoot it thru a  regular  full  choke ?    Just  to  see  maybe if  the load  is  sensitive  to  chokes  and  maybe 
patttern might not  be  so  scarey tight and maybe  very  enhanced pattern  density with few or no
holes. 

I  would  do it  myself  but I  cant  seem  to  find  anybody  who  has  some for  sale.
ArchDriver

d.winsor

I will watch your thread closely because I won't hunt with Longbeards due to how tight the pattern is.  I have a bunch of boxes of supreme HV #5, have been hunting with them for many years, I hold my range to about 40 yards, If I ever run out of supreme, I am planning on getting a larger size choke for the longbeards.  I shoot .665, If I had a larger choke I would have given it a try, but I didn't want to buy another choke right now.  I couldn't begin to guess as to how much larger I would have to go.

jakesdad

This is the same situation I am having.I was using a .655 so you can imagine how tight that was.I have a .670 for a MP-153 Baikal that i've never used for turkeys(always used the 870s).Would be interesting to see how the LBs do in more open chokes.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

DirtNap647

when I tested them in my 835 as I went more open with choke so did pattern shooting #5's

d.winsor

As tight as mine shot using a .665 I would think a .670 or .675 maybe even more, would be a little better choice, If I were to flinch at 40 yards the way my .665 shot, I would miss the turkey.

alclark2

When I have time I'm planning to shoot mine with my factory choke for my 835. It was too tight to hunt with when I took a few shots at 35 yards to see what it did. I shot it through my IC .675 3" 5s..
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

knightrider

to tight to hunt with :TooFunny: you boys need a scope or nerve medicine :funnyturkey:

d.winsor

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: knightrider on March 19, 2014, 09:47:26 AM
to tight to hunt with :TooFunny: you boys need a scope or nerve medicine :funnyturkey:
If the nerve machine existed, I'd be the first to order.

yelpaholic

My thirteen year old smooth missed one at 20 steps Saturday  yea they shoot tight..  :OGturkeyhead:

archdriver

The way the shot  is  protected, it  seems  like a  real breakthru in design. This could  take
out a lot of the  variability in  shot dispersment within a pattern.   One could  virtually dial in
how  tight or open they wanted  the pattern by  using  different  chokes.

Some  people  ,  however do not  fret over how tight a pattern is  and they  have  confidence to shoot close in.   I  am  not  one of  those  people and I would rather have a more open pattern shooting inside  40 yrds.   Turkeys move  around  alot .   
ArchDriver

jakesdad

I  am  not  one of  those  people and I would rather have a more open pattern shooting inside  40 yrds.   Turkeys move  around  alot .   

This is why I opted not to use the LB's this year.If they come out with a 20 gauge load next year and they shoot tight,i'm gonna go thru chokes until i can find one that gives me what I want.The shells do shoot/pattern well,but i'll stick with the thugs and win hv in my 12 for now.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

cluck

I've got two boxes of longbeards #6 shot. Sounds like the ventalator choke is two tight and the .665 super full rem. also. I've got a extra full rem. I think they measure about .687. Does anybody think the extra full rem. in a 28" 870 with #6 longbeard might be a good choice for 40 and 20 yds? Many thanks,     cluck

jakesdad

Ruger M77

I shot them at 20yds I didn't think they were much tighter than anything else at that range
I eat therefore I hunt