OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Silent Birds

Started by AlabamaLongbeards, March 17, 2014, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlabamaLongbeards

What are your tips for hunting a silent bird. I have a property that has gobbler tracks up and down the logging roads but I have yet to hear bird gobble on the property. What would you do in this situation?

noggin buster

Set up on the logging road and soft call every 15-20 min. You could try setting a trail cam and see if you can pattern them.

AlabamaLongbeards

Put out three on the place yesterday  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Dtrkyman

Find another spot with vocal birds :icon_thumright:

I hate it when there quiet but i think you have it covered, use those cams and pop up a blind so you can at least sit in comfort!

Teebugg

Quote from: noggin buster on March 17, 2014, 09:34:22 PM
Set up on the logging road and soft call every 15-20 min. You could try setting a trail cam and see if you can pattern them.

This right here. I scouted a silent bird a few years back. I knew he was using a certain trail but couldnt figure out when. Trail cams put him there just before 11am....he went home in the truck :)

FullChoke

You have enough information already to close this deal. No cameras, no decoys, no tents. Just hunt him. Brush in a blind out of limbs, get comfortable and hunt it in a morning until noon. As was suggested, do quiet clucks, purrs and yelps every so often. Be constantly alert for when he strolls in. When you go to get up, step on all of the tracks in the road. When you come back to the blind that afternoon, check to see if there are any new tracks. If there are none, hunt it the same way that afternoon. If he is traveling that road regularly, you should at least get a good look at him and possibly take him.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: FullChoke on March 18, 2014, 07:42:05 AM
You have enough information already to close this deal. No cameras, no decoys, no tents. Just hunt him. Brush in a blind out of limbs, get comfortable and hunt it in a morning until noon. As was suggested, do quiet clucks, purrs and yelps every so often. Be constantly alert for when he strolls in. When you go to get up, step on all of the tracks in the road. When you come back to the blind that afternoon, check to see if there are any new tracks. If there are none, hunt it the same way that afternoon. If he is traveling that road regularly, you should at least get a good look at him and possibly take him.
^^^^ yep!

ilbucksndux

I like to get in an area with a good amount of sign set up and call soft and slow every 20 minutes or so.I like some type of push pull call cause I can really slow and quiet it down.
Gary Bartlow

DirtNap647

they will get vocal sometime

L.F. Cox

Exactly...until they do I look elsewhere.

L.F. Cox

I didn't say go home...I said look elsewhere.

jwhunter

Hunting silent bird is not fun but you can kill them if you know where they want to be. If you know they are using a field or a road. Get there and be patient.

AlabamaLongbeards

Checked my camera yesterday and out of five days he walked down the road one time at 2:34 in the afternoon. Looks like it's going to be a "be in the right place at the right time" kind of deal.

owlhoot

Patience patience patience,  killed a lot of silent birds at 10 am or so.

And more patience. :z-twocents:

ridgerunner

Quote from: AlabamaLongbeards on March 22, 2014, 09:24:32 PM
Checked my camera yesterday and out of five days he walked down the road one time at 2:34 in the afternoon. Looks like it's going to be a "be in the right place at the right time" kind of deal.

Just because he didn't get on camera doesn't mean he wasn't close..don't let that discourage ya..The difference between the camera and yourself in a blind is you will be soft calling every twenty minutes.. If he's on camera, and you have tracks in the area...he's close..I'd be there at noon and hunt till quitting time calling every 20 minutes and I'd lay money you get a shot within a day or two.