Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Other then lead shot through chokes

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, March 16, 2014, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

I have been thinking of trying some HTL shot through a tightwad .570 choke.

But....

Every choke package I have seen available on the shelf including the tightwad says LEAD ONLY!

But I see guys here shooting the alternatives out of every choke imaginable.

So is it safe?  Why do the manufacturers say not to?

Thanks

mossyoakpro

I shot Fed HW and Hevi 13 through that choke with no issues, I am positive that the packaging said it was HTL safe or I would not have bought it....I am very anal like that, I will not shoot a RSF choke because it says lead only even though lots of folks do on here.
Phillippians 4:13

Tom Foolery

H13, Fed HW and lead through my Tightwad.  Only problem I have is really good patterns.  :)

mightyjoeyoung

Right off the Primos site...

"Hard on turkey heads not your wallet. The Tight-Wad™ produces patters that densely spread pellets into a 30? circle at 40 yards. This choke tube is CNC milled from chrome alloy steel. Shoots lead, cooper-plated lead, and HEVI-SHOT™. Install and remove without any tools. No frills, just clean kills."
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

VanHelden Game Calls

Huh?  I will have to recheck what I thought I read.

When I was going through the choke choices at Gander Mountain I thought I remember reading only the Jellyhead has listed Heavy being O.K.

I thought both the RemSF and the tightwad both having lead only listed on the packaging.  Guess I will have to recheck or maybe its old product?

Thanks Guys, I need/want to try the Heavy shot as I can't get what I want to see with the combos I have run so far.

mightyjoeyoung

The Remmy SF DO in fact come in "lead only" and "all shot approved" versions.  The Tightwad has always been for use with all types of shots...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BowBendr

When most chokes were marked "lead only", the mfgs. intent was for steel shot to not be shot in them. Newer choke packaging will usually tell you if they're htl approved.