Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Long-beards with a Versa Max & A400 Xtreme

Started by forcercon1, March 15, 2014, 11:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forcercon1

I had the opportunity to pattern the 3 1/2" #5 & #6 Long-beards with my Versa Max & A400 Xtreme today. The temps were mid 50's with 10-15 MPH winds.

Vera Max:
I shoot a Sumtoy .667 choke in the Versa Max. The 5's pattern was dense & evenly spread between the 10" & 15". The 20" thinned out a decent amount. I did not count the #'s, but performed a visual comparison with last years Hevi-13 3 1/2" 5's target, and they looked very similar. The Long-beard 3 1/2" 6's also were very dense and evenly spread. I did not count the #"s, but performed a visual comparison with last years Winchester Extended range 3 1/2" 6's target. The Long-beard 6's were much denser in comparison. Both the 5's & 6's shot 2" low & 2" left in this gun. I believe this could have been the shooter as the POA / POI has always been very good with the gun / choke combination. I was shooting free-hand. 

A400 Xtreme:
I shoot a Pattern Master "Turkey Code Black .665" in the A400 Xtreme. The 5's pattern was dense & evenly spread between the 10" & 15". The 20" thinned out a decent amount. I did not count the #'s, but performed a visual comparison with last years Hevi-13 3 1/2" 5's target, and they looked very similar. The Long-beard 3 1/2" 6's also patterned well but were not as dense compared to shooting the 6's with the Versa Max. I did not have a target to compare the Winchester Extended range 3 1/2" 6's with for this gun. Both the 5's & 6's shoot 2" left. The elevation was very good. I believe as with the Versa Max, the left - right can be blamed on the shooter. I was shooting free-hand.   

I'm sorry for not posting photo's or a # count, but I hope this might answer some questions for those shooting this shell in a Versa Max or A400 Xtreme. With each gun / shell combination, the turkey was leaving in the back of my truck.