Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The 20 Roars and the Lightning Strikes

Started by FullChoke, March 15, 2014, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

The rains that we had been threatened with did not materialize this morning. I headed out very early to the same area that I have been scouting for a few weeks. I bumped a bird off of the roost on my way in and then quietly eased across the target dried slough in the dark. Once it got light enough for me to see where I was going, I found a pine tree just back from the slough and settled in. Around 7:30, I heard a short gobble which sounded like it was right across the slough from me at about 90 yards. I clucked a few times and yelped at him and got no response. I heard a bird cackle and fly down from a tree right behind where I sat, but didn't see it. I could hear what sounded like contented feeding clucks in the slough but could not pick up any movement. At about 8:00 I aired another 3 yelps and it sounded like the clucks were getting closer. I was looking hard to see a bird and just glanced over to the left. There he stood at about 20 yards, craning his neck up trying to locate his next girl friend. He would stretch and then drop to a half strut, then stretch back up. One time he dropped to the half strut and I was able to see the continuous fan crescent and finally spotted a full beard. In light of this latest information concerning his legal status, I proceeded to initiate the fast-track process of reducing Senor Loverboy's position from the Baby-Daddy to that of Mr. Future-Sandwich. The Angel of Death TSS handloads arranged an appointment with him concerning child custody and as they say, That was That.

He weighed 19.82 lbs, had a pencil thin 9" beard and was sporting a pair of sharp 1" spurs.  :laugh:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

Nice!! Way to start off the year for the team!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

xarcher

Way to start it off.  Just goes to show you how scouting and patience pays off. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

gophert

Hooter

Way to get the ball rolling! 
Congrats!!

Gagry

surehuntsalot

Congrats old man,oopps I mean Captain sir,anyway congrats again on a good looking Ms. bird :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

Way to go Norm!
I am going tomorrow and hope to have better luck than what I had Tuesday.
Great job! :happy0064:  :you_rock: :newmascot:

old frank

Congratulations! Great Bird and a good way to start the season.