turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many made the switch?

Started by Cutt, March 15, 2014, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullfan

Not me, all you guys who want to get your Federal Heavyweights gone. Just let me know.......
Don't gobble at me...

tomstopper

Quote from: Fullfan on March 15, 2014, 07:02:26 PM
Not me, all you guys who want to get your Federal Heavyweights gone. Just let me know.......
Still have a pile of the thugs from last year. Cheaper and IMO they perform just as we'll as the LB in my 3500 & 870. If they get used, I still have the Winchester supremes for my 1300. Just don't see the need to switch...

chatterbox

Nope, not me. Hevi-13 3-2-7's for longer shots, and Federal 3.5-2-6's for close in woods work.

d.winsor

I patterned my SX3 a few days ago and with a .665 choke at 40 yards the long beards with 3" and 3.5" shot tight, I have never seen tighter patterns, amazed.  They shot so tight I will not hunt with them, a little one way or the other and I could miss.  I have about 8 boxes of 3 1/2" winchester supreme HV #5's, I will use them.  When I run out I will buy a more open choke and use the long beards.  My son in law likes the pattern so much he is going to pattern 3" #5 long beards in his 1300 out of a .665 choke he has.

mightyjoeyoung

I have been shooting lead for 30 years, and right along with HTL loads too for the last 15 years or so.  I get upper 150's to mid 160's with the old Federal Premium lead and the Winchester Super X lead loads.  No need to switch when what I'm using works like lightning on the birds already.  I put my time into patterning, knowing what each load will do at whatever range I'm shooting it and don't need to rely on a new load to make up for my not knowing my gear inside and out.  I also have at least a case+ of the Federal lead loads both in 12 and 20 gauge and a LARGE assortment of Winchester lead loads-enough to last my hunting lifetime, and 3 other hunters' lifetimes.  Same goes for my HTL load stock.  I have ammo buying issues.  lol  Bright side is, I bought enough of it over the years that I don't have to worry about the price of ammo like so many other folks that buy year to year.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Mike Honcho

I'm switching...been using Mag Blends but I've never got the big numbers seems like everyone else has.

I shot Win LB XR's 3.5" 6's in my Stoeger 3500 , 3 different chokes today at 40.  By far best patterns I've ever shot.
Best was 276 in 10 with Jellyhead .665.  258 in 10 with Comp N Choke xxx .650 and 255 in 10 with Ballistic Specialties Angle Port .650 all at lasered 40.   The Ballistic Specialties was so tight it's scary but not as even as the Jellyhead...most of the hits were in about an 8" diameter.

jordanz7935

Im making the switch this year in my 935. Haven't patterned the LB's yet but im just not seeing the need for a $7 turkey load when the LB's are putting up better numbers than hevi. That said i will still be shooting Federal HW's in my 20. Nothing can touch 330+ #7 hw's comin down the pipe IMO. I will pay the price on them any day to make a 20 a bonafide 40 yd killer.

vaturkey

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 15, 2014, 10:25:24 PM
Im making the switch this year in my 935. Haven't patterned the LB's yet but im just not seeing the need for a $7 turkey load when the LB's are putting up better numbers than hevi. That said i will still be shooting Federal HW's in my 20. Nothing can touch 330+ #7 hw's comin down the pipe IMO. I will pay the price on them any day to make a 20 a bonafide 40 yd killer.

330+ of HW 7's  in a 20 Ga ! Are you sure ?  :o
Vaturkey

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The release of Longbeard has caught me between jobs, so it hasn't been much of a priority for me.  I have been very curious about it though.

I was very impressed with the Turkey Thugs last year, and they are half the price of the Longbeards.  None of my local Wal-Marts are stocking Longbeards, so BPS is my local supplier.

Then it comes down to me already having plenty of HTL loads for early season hunting, and plenty of Lead loads for late season hunting after greenup.  Because of its pattern density at 40 yards plus; I see Longbeard as a logical replacement for HTL, not other Lead loads.

highwaygun

Quote from: vaturkey on March 15, 2014, 10:52:59 PM
Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 15, 2014, 10:25:24 PM

330+ of HW 7's  in a 20 Ga ! Are you sure ?  :o
he was talking about the pellet count in the shell not in a 10" circle campbells chicken noodle.

tnturkey

nope got way to many mag blends stocked up and the new ones still shot great out of my gun, and I found some old batches to. ill stick with them for now but I will say ive seen some crazy patterns from the lb. but my htl loads are the same if not better and I trust them more for now.

bawana

Nope, sticking with my Federal HW's

mudhen

Nope, no interest, too many pics of birds that would not have died with lead...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

BowBendr

I'm not switching either.
Pellet count in the 10 at 40 yds wasn't the only reason I switched to htl, and it won't make me switch back to lead.

TJK68

I was going to try a box but my local Wally World (which I hate shopping at) only had 3" #5's. I have several boxes of 3 1/2" Hevi 13 #7's and severl Nitro shells, guess I will use what I have for now.