turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many made the switch?

Started by Cutt, March 15, 2014, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

From Hevi-13 to Winchester Longbeards? Been reading many good threads with the Longbeards, and was just curious how many actually switched? I've been shooting Hevi-13 3.5's which are getting out of hand with the prices, and have considered trying the Longbeards?

30_06

I haven't. Still haven't seen the longbeards in this area yet.

knightrider

I sold my last hevi I had on hand and now have 20 boxes of the longbeard 3in #5, this shell shoots better for me out to fourty than anything ive ever shot, with that being said I did put a scope on my gun this year because the longbeards were so tight :icon_thumright:

R AJ

They are in my 12 gauges now and just waiting on 20' s for next year hopefully.

I wish I could do the pics to get some old whites, Win original XR's  and other htl loadsdown the road.

njdevilsb

I have a box of longbeards to try once the weather finally gets decent.  I do have a decent stock of Hevi 13 and Federal Heavyweights to last for a couple years for my 12 and 20 though.  I might use the longbeards on a bird this year if they pattern good just for something different.

old3toe

I went back to lead last year and will be staying with it from now on. I haven't shot the longbeards or fed thugs yet either. I have some hevi 13,nitros,and a few win er hd loads put up. I've also been shoiting 3" loads instead of 3.5". Also shot some 2 3/4" win hi vel 6's for my dad to use in one of my guns and was blown away at the pattern!! I had a what the heck have i been thinking moment!!lol

FttFttVroom!

I got a couple hevi 7's and magblends left......but there's a box of WinLBXR ready to take over after they are gone ;D

SCDieselDawg

I still have a good many Mag Blends stocked up. I went ahead and spent the time and money patterning my guns with LongBeards so I can switch back and forth between Hevi and LBs. But ultimately I will end up shooting LongBeards when my stash of Mag Blends run out.

drum817

I switched this year.  I have 3 hevi shells left but have managed to acquire around 10 or so boxes of the 3" long beards in 5 & 6 shot.  My plan is to buy even more.  This stuff shoots great and honestly I do not shoot past 40 yards.....for me personally it just makes sense.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

jakesdad

I actually traded the 5 boxes of Longbeards I had for some of the Federal 3" 2oz #6s.May actually get rid of everything I got and use the Turkey Thugs.The LBs gave me the greatest 40yd patterns i've ever got,but were a little tight for my liking up close.The thugs give me good dense patterns at 40 and enough wiggle room close.Id say the thugs have given me overall the best performance(short and long distances).

That being said if I was in a bind and needed ammo and LBs was all I could find,i'd be very happy.Just have to bear down a little more on the bead.Winchester definetely hit a home run here.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Ruger M77

I have switched the longbeards pattern better in my 870 than the hevi 3/2/7s ive been using
I eat therefore I hunt

stinkpickle

Nah...I gotta burn thru the existing stockpile a little more first.

timberjack86

I switched! And my wallet loves them :TooFunny:

mikejd

Not yet. But that's because I need to burn up what I have.
But I will be when I'm cleaned out.

beagler

I'm sticking with H-T-L loads.
Never Misses