OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

decoy placement.

Started by tomtaker123, March 14, 2014, 01:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtaker123

just curious as to how you guys generally set up your decoys in an field edge hunt situation, and I know there isn't really a "correct" answer but I am just looking for a little insight. ive been chasing the birds for a few seasons now but mostly running an gunning until the last two season and with mediocre success in the fields, but the other property we hunted has been sold  a new owner who does not want hunters on his property. so back to the original how many, how far from the blind, and facing witch way? I was thinking my avian x jake and feeder hen about 20 yards out and to my right like they are leaving the field, any thoughts? I am also considering adding a dsd upright hen for this season.
"speak the language"

woodsman1977

I like to place a jake just a few feet behind a breeding position hen and another feeding hen off to the side. I face the jake and breeding hen towards me. I have had gobblers literally run into the spread and they always face off with the jake first.

northms

A gobbler will usually face a jake head on and a hen from behind.  I usually want the deke horizontal from where they are or facing where they are, just for pure realistic standpoint.

I like them in tight on me about 20 yards and if the birds are on the left, place them to your right and vice versa so if they hang up they're in range.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: woodsman1977 on March 14, 2014, 01:17:26 PM
I like to place a jake just a few feet behind a breeding position hen and another feeding hen off to the side. I face the jake and breeding hen towards me. I have had gobblers literally run into the spread and they always face off with the jake first.

+1 - and I always place the decoys at an off-angle to me; esp important if you hunt on public land.  Everybody's doggin' the new Funky Chicken; read the review the guy posted on the Cabela's website - another hunter ran in & BLEW THE HEAD OFF this dude's Funky Chicken jake decoy before he could stop him!!!  ha...  Tried to find it just now, but I think they may have pulled it down.  He said the guy was so embarrassed, he just handed him $40 on the spot!! 

Actually, I found it!  Here's the review: http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/421316/flextone-funky-chicken-turkey-decoy-reviews/reviews.htm
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

appalachianstruttstopper

If I'm using strutter or jake with hen I try and set them so the tom looks like he is following the hen. I personally prefer my dekes  to be set up @ 10 o'clock postion to my left because I am a right handed shooter. If he walks to my set-up, no movement is required for me to get the gun on him.

Straight in front of me or to the right puts me in a bad position, especially if I am against a tree at the fields edge.

tomtaker123

thanks guys, I think im going to try the breeding hen and jake with the additional feeder, I have and old feather flex hen Ill probably end up using as the breeder I just got to rig up a short stake or something (aluminum arrow shaft cut down). and the only reason I put them off to my right is because im a lefty.
"speak the language"

30_06

I like them off to my right (left handed) about 5-10 yards away. Usually with the jake facing me. My daughter (right handed) prefers them to her left.

alloutdoors

Every time a thread comes up I see people talk about how gobblers approach a jake decoy head on and hens from behind. This seems to be one of those internet myths that sounds like it makes sense and people just repeat over and over again without ever confirming it themselves. Pretty much every gobbler that has ever attacked my jake has circled around and come at the decoy from behind. They usually strut right up to the decoy and kind of lean over it trying to intimidate it. When the decoy doesn't back down they attack. The first kick is nearly always delivered to the back.

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 14, 2014, 03:57:40 PM
+1 - and I always place the decoys at an off-angle to me; esp important if you hunt on public land.

How exactly does that work? No matter where you place the decoy, someone can still walk up directly behind it relative to your position and place you in the line of fire.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 15, 2014, 01:42:12 PM
Every time a thread comes up I see people talk about how gobblers approach a jake decoy head on and hens from behind. This seems to be one of those internet myths that sounds like it makes sense and people just repeat over and over again without ever confirming it themselves. Pretty much every gobbler that has ever attacked my jake has circled around and come at the decoy from behind. They usually strut right up to the decoy and kind of lean over it trying to intimidate it. When the decoy doesn't back down they attack. The first kick is nearly always delivered to the back.

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 14, 2014, 03:57:40 PM
+1 - and I always place the decoys at an off-angle to me; esp important if you hunt on public land.

How exactly does that work? No matter where you place the decoy, someone can still walk up directly behind it relative to your position and place you in the line of fire.

Re: gobblers approaching the "head/face" of the jake, man - definitely *not* an internet myth.  I wish I could count the number of times this had happened to me; more times than not, for sure; again, just my experience, but over & over, the gobbler approaches the jake from the front, and challenges it; when the jake does not respond, then yes, the gobbler will circle around it, brush/bump/body check it, etc. & then knock it off the stake & pounce on it.  Just, I can't remember a hunt - when I've used decoys (don't use them on every hunt) - that the gobbler hasn't approached the jake from the front.  That's why I always place the face of the jake away from me, again - at an angle (10'oclock position, right handed shooter) - & have my gun on the ready to knock his block off.

Re: placing decoys @ an angle, well, I supposed you're correct; I guess what I'm counting on is that they'll approach the flock @ a 90 degree (perpendicular) angle -- if that happens, they'd blow the shot over your left shoulder.  Luckily, I've *never* had to test this theory.  BUT, read the Funky Chicken Cabela's review; it'd be interesting to ask him if he placed the decoy right straight in front of him.
---

alloutdoors

I didn't say that they won't ever approach from the front, saying they always approach from the front is a myth though. Just looking at my YouTube videos, of 8 videos where a tom or jake makes contact with the decoy, 7 of those times it comes from the back. The other time it is an attack from the side. In several videos the bird came in from from a distance in the direction the decoy was facing and circled wide all the way around to make the final approach from the rear. Happy to post the videos to prove it.

Just to be clear, if you face your jake toward where you expect the gobbler to come from and then shoot him at 30 yards as he is walking toward your setup, then yes he was technically approaching it head on, but that's not really what I'm talking about. In that scenario it doesn't matter what direction the decoy is facing. I'm talking about when he's closing the last few steps before being right on top of the decoy, and in my experience that is usually done from behind. With a shotgun it is irrelevant, with a bow it's something you can use to your advantage. To be fair, I'm strictly speaking of my experience using the DSD jake, and it is possible that there is something inherent to the posture of that decoy that causes birds to approach it from behind more than with other jake decoys.

30_06

The reason I prefer my decoys off to the side is
1. It is easier to get a shot to my right (left handed) without excess movement.
2. What little movement I do make will not be directly inline with the decoys in most instances, thus allowing me to get away with more....hopefully.
3. I won't be shot from a direction I can't see first. While someone may be able to get inline and behind the decoys putting me in the line of fire I should be able to see them in that area before they get a shot off.......well that's my theory at least.

In my experience, most of the turkeys have approached the jake from the front, something I have used to allow me to get off a successful shot with a bow.

bamagtrdude

I agree w/the comment - to use the word "always" in terms of what a turkey will do (not a hunting technique of the hunter) is a mistake; turkeys don't always do anything (except eat & sleep).

+1 on northms comment of putting decoys 20 yards (or closer) from you; I do this, as well.
---

hgoutdoors

Quote from: northms on March 14, 2014, 01:46:26 PM
I like them in tight on me about 20 yards and if the birds are on the left, place them to your right and vice versa so if they hang up they're in range.

Great point!