turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shock Gobbling before daylight ?

Started by Basin_hunter, March 14, 2011, 11:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

Anyone have any luck getting birds to gobble before daylight ? I have always waited until the woods wake up, and most of the time I am not certain exactly where they are roosted at and find myself racing through the woods after them at 1st light.

Thanks,
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

guesswho

I don't try.  Usually the Owls and crows will get one to gobble.    I don't get in any hurry, I'm there for the day unless one bites the dust early. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bowhunter84

i've had some gobble at my owl and crow calls but i usually just let them wake up on their own

mmusso

Normally, I let them do their own thing, or I may owl hoot a time or two, but if I haven't heard anything by 8AM or so I'll crank up the crow call. If none of that works and it's later in the season and say 9AM, I'll hammer em with cuttin on the glass or crystal pots. I have a tendency to get loud...  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

bowhunter84

GobbleNut

Depending on where you are hunting and under what conditions, pre-daylight shock gobbling is not only effective, but can also mean the difference between gratifying success or utter failure.  

Here in New Mexico, our Merriams gobblers are often quite willing to gobble to a locator in the predawn darkness.  And often, our birds are scattered out a long distance apart.  Someone who sits and waits for gobbling to occur can end up sitting and waiting for birds that are not anywhere around.  

Conversely, the guy who uses a good locator call starting at the first hint of daylight here and keeps moving, will almost always find birds to hunt.  Just as importantly, he will eliminate a lot of areas that are devoid of gobblers.  

Of course, there are also plenty of places where pre-dawn locating is completely unnecessary and might even be detrimental.  On small tracts of land in high-turkey-density areas, and especially public areas, it is not likely to be in your best interest to encourage the gobblers to gobble.  

The trick is learning when to use roost-locating tactics and when to leave them alone.  Knowing the inclinations of the birds in an area, their willingness to gobble, and the need to make them gobble, can be keys to a successful hunt.

Jim

jshively

Quote from: guesswho on March 14, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
I don't try.  Usually the Owls and crows will get one to gobble.    I don't get in any hurry, I'm there for the day unless one bites the dust early. 
:agreed:

Scottyb

Here in the lower shore of Md our birds gobble many days in the dark, especially at owling.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

gunnerj

Last year I had 3 mornings they gobbled in the dark. 2 were shock gobbles. Thunder opening morning 1st season last year, we got wet, probably a dozen gobbles at the lightning/thunder. Coon fight 2nd morning 1st season, at one point they were 6 feet off the tip of my boot. We probably had 30 gobbles at a coon fight between 3 coons that lasted 15 minutes. It's kinda unnerving in the dark man. The 3rd time was a full moon and the birds started gobbling an hour and a half before sunrise.

hobbes

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 14, 2011, 02:58:25 PM
Depending on where you are hunting and under what conditions, pre-daylight shock gobbling is not only effective, but can also mean the difference between gratifying success or utter failure. 

Here in New Mexico, our Merriams gobblers are often quite willing to gobble to a locator in the predawn darkness.  And often, our birds are scattered out a long distance apart.  Someone who sits and waits for gobbling to occur can end up sitting and waiting for birds that are not anywhere around. 

Conversely, the guy who uses a good locator call starting at the first hint of daylight here and keeps moving, will almost always find birds to hunt.  Just as importantly, he will eliminate a lot of areas that are devoid of gobblers. 

Of course, there are also plenty of places where pre-dawn locating is completely unnecessary and might even be detrimental.  On small tracts of land in high-turkey-density areas, and especially public areas, it is not likely to be in your best interest to encourage the gobblers to gobble. 

The trick is learning when to use roost-locating tactics and when to leave them alone.  Knowing the inclinations of the birds in an area, their willingness to gobble, and the need to make them gobble, can be keys to a successful hunt.

Jim

What he said!

WyoHunter

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 14, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Here in New Mexico, our Merriams gobblers are often quite willing to gobble to a locator in the predawn darkness.  And often, our birds are scattered out a long distance apart.  Someone who sits and waits for gobbling to occur can end up sitting and waiting for birds that are not anywhere around.  

Conversely, the guy who uses a good locator call starting at the first hint of daylight here and keeps moving, will almost always find birds to hunt.  Just as importantly, he will eliminate a lot of areas that are devoid of gobblers.  

The trick is learning when to use roost-locating tactics and when to leave them alone.  Knowing the inclinations of the birds in an area, their willingness to gobble, and the need to make them gobble, can be keys to a successful hunt.

Jim
Good Advice especially when you hunt out west like here in WY.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Basin_hunter

In fall we rut, in spring we strut

hoyt

On the public land I hunt I use owl calls. They work pretty good early in the season. Never can tell why or when they might gobble way before daylight or when. Seems like after hearing all the owls, peacocks, coyotes, etc. they don't shock gobble too good as the season goes on. So I stop letting them know I'm around and just listen.
Had one shock gobble at a deer running through water one time.