turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 choke suggestions

Started by SCDieselDawg, March 10, 2014, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigStrutter

I personally like the undertaker myself. I have the ported and non-ported for my 500. Now I use it as my backup gun.
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

strutter

After all of your reviews I just picked up a undertaker choke for sons mossberg. It says don't shoot high density stuff though it but it seems that is what everyone is using. Wondering if anyone has had any negative results.

BigStrutter

Quote from: strutter on March 16, 2014, 04:06:45 PM
After all of your reviews I just picked up a undertaker choke for sons mossberg. It says don't shoot high density stuff though it but it seems that is what everyone is using. Wondering if anyone has had any negative results.

They make a high density choke tube. I think it's called the Undertaker XT high density. I know a lot of people who do but I've never tried it. For safety reasons I usually stick to manufacturers recommendations.

strutter

I looked at their website but it only showed the high density in 12 guage only.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: BigStrutter on March 16, 2014, 07:33:50 PM

They make a high density choke tube. I think it's called the Undertaker XT high density. I know a lot of people who do but I've never tried it. For safety reasons I usually stick to manufacturers recommendations.

HTL "approved" H.S. Undertaker 20 ga. tubes part numbers: 
Ported:  06717.  Non-ported:  00653.

"Lead only" chokes:
Ported:  06727.  Non-ported:  00666.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BigStrutter

BigStrutter

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 16, 2014, 08:09:28 PM

"Lead only" chokes:

Nice info.....I feel like an idiot. lol I just looked at both of mine and the non-ported says 00666 (.575) Lead only and the ported says 06953 (.582) High Density. If I remember correctly (it was a few years back) I bought the ported a month after the other and just figured it was lead only as well. Looks like the ol' backup gun is going to get a Hevi Shot pattern real soon. ;D

mightyjoeyoung

They're ALL made from the exact same steel, so if you're getting good patterns with the "Lead Only" choke I would run it.  The ONLY diference is the constriction/exit dia.. 

strutter

I looked and the high density for 20 guage only comes ported everyone here claims they are using the non ported undertaker with HW loads

mightyjoeyoung

I didn't dream up those part numbers, but ok... 

cohuttariverrat

Yea mine is non ported for high density loads

mtnspur

I believe you didn't make those #'s up but where did you find them. lol I cant find the 00653 non ported high density choke on the HS Strut site. I really would like to purchase this choke for my sons Moss 20 ga. Would love some clarification. Thanks!

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 16, 2014, 08:09:28 PM

"Lead only" chokes:

mtnspur