OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 choke suggestions

Started by SCDieselDawg, March 10, 2014, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

Trying to help my cousin setup a Mossy 500 to shoot HWT 6s or 7s. He's not looking for a match winner just a good hunting pattern. What do y'all suggest?

mightyjoeyoung

Primos Tightwad,  Carlson's .575 non-ported or one of William Sumtoy's fine chokes in a .572.  All you need to know and no reason to search further or harder.  :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SCDieselDawg

Thanks mightyjoeyoung! I'll check into them.

Crappiepro

I've done well with the Primos tightwad and a Carlson's X-Full choke in my 500 20ga. while patterning last year. I would say the Tightwad is probably the better of the 2.
:z-twocents:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Crappiepro on March 10, 2014, 07:52:47 PM
I've done well with the Primos tightwad and a Carlson's X-Full choke in my 500 20ga. while patterning last year. I would say the Tightwad is probably the better of the 2.
:z-twocents:

Don't know what the size is on the x-full Carlson,but the .575 Carlson is just as good as the Tightwad.
(I have both)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

cohuttariverrat

Undertaker non ported gave me better numbers than the tightwad ported

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: cohuttariverrat on March 12, 2014, 09:15:31 AM
Undertaker non ported gave me better numbers than the tightwad ported

That's honestly the first time I think I've ever heard that.  That being said I do understand every gun is diferent .   I mean I've got an undertaker in my encore pro hunter and it shoots...decent, but the only reason its still in the gun is because I picked the barrel up just before last season and I now have 2 other PROVEN chimes to try that I'm sure will post up better. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

cohuttariverrat

Yea I know. Shooting HW7 the tightwad gave me in 130's and undertaker in 150's consistently . Clean bore before each shot as well. I have a new lot# this year and will try again

SCDieselDawg

Thanks guys!!

I shot it this morning with the unported Undertaker he already had in it. The shot was 38yds with a 3" HWT #6. It wasn't a match winner, but he's happy.

Tom Dooley

I use the .572 non ported Undertaker in my sons Moss Bantam. I like it well enough that I just bought another one for my 7 yr old daughter's Moss 510 mini.

Dallen92

I have a Mossberg 500 super bantam with a 22 inch barrel and i use the the .575 undertaker choke and hwt 7s and it puts up 160s in the 10 at 40 everytime. 

timberjack86

cohuttariverrat

Last season the 40yd pattern was in the 150's with undertaker shooting hw7 in a bantam. Shot yesterday with a new lot# of #7's and got 182 with the undertaker. Probably will be selling a tightwad soon as its best was 130's.

Tom Dooley

Quote from: cohuttariverrat on March 15, 2014, 01:17:22 PM
Last season the 40yd pattern was in the 150's with undertaker shooting hw7 in a bantam. Shot yesterday with a new lot# of #7's and got 182 with the undertaker. Probably will be selling a tightwad soon as its best was 130's.

What was this lot #? Thanks

cohuttariverrat

5p-10pj593 my bore is polished like a mirror as well