OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Q: Strategies past first light/morning to make one gobble (hunt)

Started by bamagtrdude, March 10, 2014, 02:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyoung0

You might think I am crazy, but going to the top of the ridge where I don't think there are birds that is straight across form the ridge I believe there are birds and calling with a crystal very loud with 4-7 yelps (that's a lot I know). For some reason, Gobblers love to respond to calls at that slow time when the sound is coming from a distance with minimal interference (my calling isn't that bad  ;D),  Only do this once, twice at the max to pinpoint. Then hike your little tush back across that ridge and sneak with in 200 yards and call soft once, then hustle another 50-100 yds (pending foliage) closer, even if they don't respond and sit and wait 10min then call. Then you have a good chance you will be dancing! It really works when the ridge you are calling from is higher then the one they are on.

EXTREME CAUTION: only if you are in great shape do this technique, lets minimize the heart attacks to hunt another day.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: twyoung0 on March 12, 2014, 09:30:12 AM
You might think I am crazy, but going to the top of the ridge where I don't think there are birds that is straight across form the ridge I believe there are birds and calling with a crystal very loud with 4-7 yelps (that's a lot I know)....

+1 on this; I do this a lot, too.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

cahaba

Another thing...You don't have to have a gobblin trukey to kill one. Find a good place with lot's of scratchins and call every 15 to 20 min. I called up 3 year before last doing this. I like to use the gobbler lounger as sits can be long.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: cahaba on March 13, 2014, 03:33:19 PM
Another thing...You don't have to have a gobblin trukey to kill one. Find a good place with lot's of scratchins and call every 15 to 20 min. I called up 3 year before last doing this. I like to use the gobbler lounger as sits can be long.

Yes sir!
---

Dtrkyman

I rarely hunt with a gun anymore but even bowhunting lugging all my gear around I like to walk ridge tops and cut aggressively on a mouth call or box call, call, move 50 yards call and so on, most times you need to be close to get one to fire but I have great luck with this after 10am.

My last gun kill was the exact scenario, struck one around 11 in a deep hollow below me, I kept walking and calling right past him and set up on a point of the ridge they like to roost, killed him in less than 5 minutes at 5 yards, he came up a steep bank where I could not see him until he was on me!   

steinea286

I cover as much ground as I possibly can. I am not one to be very patient turkey hunting as I love the excitement of getting one fired up. Hunt the roost till 8, glass fields until 9-9:30 and then start walking until you strike one. Hunting in NY, we only have until noon. Give them sounds that they don't typically hear, break the yelp up or cut in the middle of a yelp. That usually gets them going.

cgoff

Me and a buddy have had great luck getting them to shock gobble with a goose call when nothing else will work

chcltlabz

I sure wish everyone quit hunting at 9.  I'd kill a heck of a lot more birds if they did!

I'm with the "I've killed way more birds after 9 than before" crowd.

Run and Gun.  Call loud and too often.  When you get tired, walk and gun, and call loud and often.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

DirtNap647

L.F. Cox

Loud aggressive calling can make them shock gobble....but with every Tom Dick and Harry doing it it quickly looses it's effectiveness especially on public land.

If I'm walking I prefer a loud well spaced two note (where are you ?) cluck on a trumpet call...

If a gobbler answers that he most likely will keep gobbling giving you the time needed to get in position to call him.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 19, 2014, 10:19:30 AM
Loud aggressive calling can make them shock gobble....but with every Tom Dick and Harry doing it it quickly looses it's effectiveness especially on public land.

If I'm walking I prefer a loud well spaced two note (where are you ?) cluck on a trumpet call...

If a gobbler answers that he most likely will keep gobbling giving you the time needed to get in position to call him.

Thanks L.F.; I'll give that a try.  Appreciate your feedback.
---

SpringRiver

Mid morning is my favorite time to hunt. You may not here as many gobblers but if you do get on one your chances are pretty good he will be a workable bird. I don't have much luck with a crow call where I live so I mostly do a lot of aggressive cutting and cover a lot of ground. If that doesn't work I will just set up on an old logging road or in a creek/river bottom field, patience is the name of the game then. The best scenario is for an early afternoon thunderstorm to pop up. Ain't nothing like some thunder to get a gobbler to let you know where he is. :OGani: