OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Maxus Question

Started by RutStrut, March 14, 2011, 08:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutStrut

I am new to this forum and really think it is by far the best forum.  I currently have a T/C encore turkey gun that I am trying to sell so I can purchase a Browning Maxus and I have two questions. Can the Maxus barrel be cut down and rethreaded and does anyone know of any good deals new or used on the Maxus?

Quax

I'm sure it could but why would you want to cut a new maxus barrel?

J Gilbert

If you're going to do that, just get an SX3 or Browning Silver turkey model that's already got a 24" barrel

RutStrut

Not sure how am I going to like the 28 inch barrel and since the shorter maxus barrels wont be available to next year, I figured having it cut off would be a less expensive alternative. Does anyone hunt turkeys with that long a barrel?

Reloader

I've killed a pile of longbeards with a 28" bbl with a 2" extended choke.  Never felt hindered by it.

gunslinger

You can get a Maxus with 26" barrel

Quax

Nothing wrong with a 28"; killed my first with a 30" fixed full. I prefer 26" or shorter tho. If ur stuck on a maxus, I'd wait til next year when the shorter ones are available and just hunt with the t/c this year. When I looked into getting a beretta cut last year they could only retap with tru-choke. I have a browning a5 retrofitted with tru-choke; I like it but only use for duck hunting. Not as many turkey choke options with tru-choke. I wouldn't cut a new maxus

RutStrut

Thanks for all the advice, pulled the trigger tonight on a 3.5 28 inch barrel Maxus. Know all I need
Is an ic choke and turkey load advice.

J Gilbert

I've killed 3 turkeys with my SX3.  It's got a 28" barrel and a 2" Indian Creek choke, and I've never felt hindered by the length.  I have gone to a 20ga for weight purposes but the length hasn't been an issue at all.  For the choke and load advice, go wtih the .675 Indian Creek instead of a .665 (which is what I shoot).  I wish I had the more open choke because I've seen evidence of some blown patterns with this combo and Mag Blends before.  I would recommend the H13 6's or 7's or possibly even the mag blends if you go with .675 ed.