Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

870 20ga with Federal Heavyweight and Magnum Blend

Started by Goose, February 16, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goose

Remington 870 20ga youth model with 21" barrel. 59* and windy. Had to play the wind and shoot when it was in a lull, but I was determined to get the gun moderately sighted in (I just finished building the gun)

This was lasered at 40yds. Dissregard the targets. Old stock I was trying to get gone. The dense pattern was to the left of center (Left circle)

Federal Heavyweight 20ga/3"/1.5oz/7 with a X-full flush mount choke. 132 pellets in 10"

Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 20ga/3"/1.25oz/5,6,7 with RedHead Blackout turkey choke. 103 pellets in 10"

Had some issues with my front sight. Will shoot some more when I get it taken care of.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

heartofdixie

Last year I patterned 20ga Fed HW7s vs. 20ga MagBlends and got similar results.  I just can't get the 20ga MagBlends to pattern worth a flip.

Using a .555 Indian Creek choke...

Fed HW 7s:  I was getting around 150-160 hits in the 10" at 40yds.  Very pleased with this!
MagBlends:  I was getting below 100 hits in 10" at 40yds.  Mostly getting about 87 or 90 hits.  Personally, I can't hunt with that.

Goose

You patterned that well with the HW using the indian creek?

I tried the HW thru my Blackout choke and it was far worse than my flush mount full choke.

heartofdixie

Quote from: Goose on February 25, 2015, 12:04:40 PM
You patterned that well with the HW using the indian creek?

I did.  I was surprised as well.  I understand it's not recommended to use a ported choke with Fed HWs, but I tried it and many others have as well.  I've read the flight control wad in the 20ga is more forgiving than the flight control wad in the 12ga.  Therefore, you can sometimes get away with using a ported choke with the 20ga Fed HWs, but still would be better off with a non-ported choke.

I bought a non-ported SumToy and Trulock recently.  Gonna pattern those with Fed HW 7s in the next couple weeks.  I'm done with MagBlends.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: rainingmallards on February 24, 2015, 09:31:54 PM
The Mag Blends are spot on
if you're gonna shoot hevi why not go straight 7s in a 20 bore? Just wastin space with 5s and 6s.  Or go straight 6s for that matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

the mag blends work well in my 870 youth with a .575 Carlson choke

surehuntsalot

Swampchickin234

Looks like they work good for ya, congrats.  It just seems to me in a 11/4 ounce load of mixed 5,6,7 that it would make more sense to shoot straight numbers of the smaller shot to increase pattern density.  Now in a 2 ounce -21/4 ounce load In a 12, you've got pellets to play with.  But then again, you have a great pattern. obviously you know you're gun she'll and choke so you know what they do, and I would gladly hunt that pattern   All boils down to personal preference I reckon.  Good luck this season. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk