Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many will use Lead, but Not Longbeard XR Lead?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 08, 2014, 01:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

after the patterns I got with longbeards why would I shoot anything else :OGturkeyhead:

surehuntsalot

I have Federal pre FC 3" and 3.5",Winchester XX(red shells) Winchester (grey box) shells
I shot some of the long beards and they didn't do anything for me really.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Mike Honcho

In my Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer will use Fed Thugs cuz I have 3 boxes of #6.

My 3 1/2" guns will probably be the Win. Longbeards as I was low on 3 1/2" ammo and bought Longbeards.

packmule

Turkey thugs for me, plenty of them on hand, still can buy new ones for under $10/box, and they pattern great.  No need to change.

RAY

I'm going to choot em in the lips with Winchester High Velocity Supremes (Black Shells) Copper plated #5's  :z-winnersmiley:

d.winsor

Quote from: RAY on March 08, 2014, 10:58:10 PM
I'm going to choot em in the lips with Winchester High Velocity Supremes (Black Shells) Copper plated #5's  :z-winnersmiley:

Same here, I have 12 boxes of the 3.5" #5's & 4 boxes of 3" #5's, but I have long beards in 3" and 3.5" #5's to pattern "Many Years of Turkey hunting!"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I was wondering if we are all getting caught up in the numbers game to the point that we feel we have to get 200 or 250 even when we are shooting Lead at 40 Yards?  Will Longbeard make all other Lead turkey loads obsolete, etc.?  Some of us have substantial amounts of time and money invested in other combos, and I have a hard time believing that those combos are suddenly obsolete just because a super-duper shell has arrived.  (I do believe that it is an unbelievably awesome shell, btw.)

I believe that the Supreme, High Velocity, and SuperX loads by Winchester will still sell well.  But each year, more and more people will likely migrate to the new Longbeard shells.  It's already happened before with HTL.  All it takes is for a bunch of people, especially those on TV to start claiming that they are 60-70 Yard shells.

I guess I like the idea of having 40+ Yard shells, and Under 40 Yard Shells for different situations.  It seems that most people will sacrifice everything in order to gain the tightest possible pattern at 40 Yards.  Some combos pattern great at 30, 35, & 40 Yards; but may not be the very tightest combo at 40 Yards.

It will be interesting to see how the Lead Turkey load market shifts over time.

CASH

I refuse to buy them simply because I don't want to jump on the bandwagon.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

tomstopper

Quote from: CASH on March 09, 2014, 07:17:42 AM
I refuse to buy them simply because I don't want to jump on the bandwagon.
IMO your not missing much. Last year I did jump on the Thug bandwagon (but they never said you could shoot 60 yards) and they work great still for me. No sense in using the Win LB when I still have 4 boxes of them.

Vabirddog

Quote from: 29810434 on March 08, 2014, 08:55:37 PM
still use Winchester supreme.No need to change I never shoot over 40 yards anyway.

Now Double xx, but yeah this.

WildTigerTrout

I have 5 boxes of Winchester "Supreme" HV 3.5" #6 shot. They throw excellent patterns out of my Benelli SBE and really knock-em dead. I see NO reason to change.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!