Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many will use Lead, but Not Longbeard XR Lead?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 08, 2014, 01:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I realize that this seems like a silly question, but it is one way to determine the impact of Longbeard on the use of other Lead loads. 

Longbeard vs HTL is a totally separate question, imo.  Longbeard = HTL patterns, but with Lead pellet density.

How many people on Old Gobbler will continue to hunt with other Lead loads?  Why?

chatterbox

For me, I will shoot my Hevi-13 3-2-7's when I know my shots are longer in either open timber or fields, and when I am in the deep woods for my 30 and under, I will use my federal lead loads which shoot to the same POI as my hevi.
I will not shoot the Longbeards, because I am taking a stand on Winchester's marketing of taking a lead load and saying it will kill at 60+ yards.
Just my opinion, but I feel very strongly about this.

budtripp

I have a ton of winchester HV and xx mag #5's in both 3" and 3.5" along with about 40 rounds of hevi. so no longbeards for me yet. Maybe when this stockpile starts running dry in 30 yrs

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI have a ton of.................along with about 40 rounds of hevi. so no longbeards for me yet.

Me too.  Dozens each of 3" #4 Loads, #5 Loads, #6 Loads, and 4x6 Loads; plus a couple double-handfulls of 3" HTL Loads. 

I already have HTL that is definitely good past 40, Lead that is definitely good at 40, Lead that is spectacular at 35, etc.

albrubacker

I will be using Win Elite Xtended Range  3 1/2" 6 shot
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

jakesdad

I have 6 boxes of the Longbeards in 3" #6,but also 6-7 boxes of Black box Win. Supremes,4 boxes of grey box Win. in 3" #5 and #6,and a few boxes of Turkey thugs in 3" #6.Havent even got a chance to shoot the Longbeards yet,and mostly use the 20 with old green Rem. hevi in 3" #6.

If I use the 12 i'm sure it will just depend on where i'm hunting whether the Longbeards (if they even pattern well for me but have confidence they will)even make the trip.Field hunting-probably so.Woods hunting-no.Will probably carry a few of the longbeards in the vest in case need arises.

I've even debated that if I can find a good high brass load of 7 1/2 or 6 in 2 3/4 going with my dads old Remington 11-48 fixed full(if it'll pattern good to 35 +/-)Just something about that gun and the way it fits and feels I hate having it just sit at home!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

beagler

Never Misses

Captaintopwater

I'll be shooting Long Beards if I'm shooting my 12. They pattern better than any lead load I've tried and I've tried a lot of them. I'm not gonna buy another choke to shoot HTL loads in. If I can't get him to the 40ish mark, well there will be another day.

ericjames

I will be shooting lead, nope the Longbeard xr. I got 4 boxes of them just to have. I will be shooting turkey thug 3.5" #5's.

Longshanks

My 870 shoots 160's-170's with Win xx 6's. Have 6-8 boxes..might as well shoot them. I am however interested in seeing what the LB will do out of my 870's. Rotator cuff problems, will have to wait. Hunting with beretta 20g this year.. 170's-180's in a 10 @ 40. Fed hw 7's.

tomstopper

Bought one box of long beards and shot some today. Not impressed. They are just as good as the thugs but are more expensive. I have a ton of the thugs and love how they pattern so that's what I am shooting...

01Foreman400

Quote from: Longshanks on March 08, 2014, 06:46:10 PM
My 870 shoots 160's-170's with Win xx 6's. Have 6-8 boxes..might as well shoot them. I am however interested in seeing what the LB will do out of my 870's. Rotator cuff problems, will have to wait. Hunting with beretta 20g this year.. 170's-180's in a 10 @ 40. Fed hw 7's.

Your 20 ga. with the HW's is a lot better than your 12 ga. with lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Tried both,still use Winchester supreme.No need to change I never shoot over 40 yards anyway.

KYStalker

I'll be shooting the old Federal 3in. 2oz #7.5.
If you're not first, your last!!

ericjames

Quote from: KYStalker on March 08, 2014, 09:26:10 PM
I'll be shooting the old Federal 3in. 2oz #7.5.

I still have  about 4 boxes 3.5" - 2.25- 6's. I don't really want to shoot them. Trying to save them.