OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeards / Ported vs Non-ported choke

Started by TnTurk, March 06, 2014, 01:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

Has anyone noticed any major difference in shooting the longbeards out of ported and non-ported chokes? Maybe, someone has notice if they like a particular choke design over others, just wondering.  God Bless, Steve

scdxt

Well in my remington 11-87 21" they like the .665 jellyhead. In my  M1 Benelli they like a .640-.650 carlsons non ported. I really dont think they choke picky. I have shot them through about 20 different chokes and all are good patterns some just better than others.

d.winsor

I primarily shoot Briley straight rifled chokes .665 in 870's, ported and non-ported.  Briley says it makes no difference if the choke is ported or not in regards to the pattern, but the ported choke will reduce recoil a bit.

L.F. Cox

I've had some dealings with Briley over the years do you really believe they know anything about turkey chokes ?

d.winsor

I have 3 870's I shoot Winchester Supreme high velocity #5's and they say yes, Looking forward to shooting the Winchester LB #5's

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 07, 2014, 08:22:29 AM
I've had some dealings with Briley over the years do you really believe they know anything about turkey chokes ?

Did he say anything that even resembled that? 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

d.winsor

I patterned my gun with a .665 briley straight rifled choke, ported.  Using longbeards #5 at 40 yards it patterned so tight I won't use it to hunt with.  I will use winchester supreme HV #5's it is a little more open pattern.  When I run out of supreme I will buy another briley that is more open and shoot the longbeards.  I think briley knows a little about chokes, based on my experience.  I have been using briley chokes since 1992.

olturkey

We wear ear protection when shooting but generally not when hunting. Last year my 10 yr. old grandson fired 2 shots at turkeys using a ported choke and both times he cried for 10 minutes afterward because his ears hurt.  He also shot at other birds with a nonported choke and never said a word.  Moral of story, ported choke is history.

memert116

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 07, 2014, 05:47:48 PM
Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 07, 2014, 08:22:29 AM

Did he say anything that even resembled that?

x2......Cox's remark is bizarre