OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning BPS Federal hevi-weight #7's 10 GA ?

Started by NC_10, March 05, 2014, 08:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

I still can't figure outwhy you would shoot a turkey in the legs?

Old Gobbler

Shot a gobbler last year with fed #7 hw last  year at about 40 yards , aimed a bit low , dropped my hold right as I pulled the trigger .... When I picked him up ........broke the base of the neck of course , but a stray #7 hit his upper femur ( leg bone ) broke it , more like shattered it - it hits like 4-5 hevi shot - ridiculous knockdown

The # 7 hw is a small projectile but....it's 50% heavier than lead , 30% more heavy than a hevi shot 7 , when I shot it at a 5/8 thick hardwood ply , it blew right through , same as the #5 hevi shot on the same pattern session --

Best thing about the fed hw , its relatively available everywhere to buy ,always seems to be in plentiful supply ,  shoots well , consistent 

In my opinion the hevishot #7 h13 at 1080 fps , doesn't have a substantial " fudge factor" like a tight shooting shell in a larger size shot - like elbows everyone has one , that's my opinion though....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SLAYER

What choke would you recommend with the Fed HW #7's ?  I know the ported chokes are not recommended with the flitecontrol wad. I have a IC .690 and a Rhino .720. I also have a hastings nonported .675.

decoykrvr

The FliteControl wads don't perform well out of Indian Creek chokes due to the internal wad retention rings.  The Pure Gold tubes are also described as "wad stripping".  I shot both a .680 and .690 Pure Gold, and a Rhino tube w/ the Heavyweight #7's , and none of them compared to the patterns I get w/ a Gobblin Thunder .690.  Based on the cost of the Federal Heavyweight shells, it was a "no brainer" to follow the advice of the 10 gauge geru's on here and buy a GT .690.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: Rockhound on March 08, 2014, 01:57:47 PM
I still can't figure outwhy you would shoot a turkey in the legs?

I shoot left handed the gobbler was going right to left...I can shoot either shoulder equally well but there was no way i could swap shoulders so I twisted as far as I could and when I shot I just made a bad hit.

SLAYER

Yeah , I thought a .690 might be about right but a GT is a ported choke also right ? They say not to use a wad stripping choke . Why doesnt Federal load up a 2.50 0z load of these 7's with a regular wad. Or maybe a 2.25 oz load. I think it would pattern really good out of the .690 IC . Also Ive flatened gobblers past 55yds with the Nitro H210 4x5x7 and the Rhino .720.

Rockhound

Quote from: SLAYER on March 11, 2014, 07:37:21 PM
Yeah , I thought a .690 might be about right but a GT is a ported choke also right ? They say not to use a wad stripping choke . Why doesnt Federal load up a 2.50 0z load of these 7's with a regular wad. Or maybe a 2.25 oz load. I think it would pattern really good out of the .690 IC . Also Ive flatened gobblers past 55yds with the Nitro H210 4x5x7 and the Rhino .720.

The gt is a wad stripping choke but it and the fcw  are a match made in heaven. Check out the 10 gauge pattern section for a few pics

Old Gobbler

I think federal has to use that thick wad for liability purposes , the shot material is harder than the barrel
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

I hate turkeys

Anybody shoot the hevi-weight 7"s out of a Bansner choke It's ported but I don't see any rings?
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

steveo

Works for me ! BPS 685GT #7s , still shoot Winchester 6s as well but wont argue that they will drop em dead, I have killed 6 since shooting them and my daughter has killed 3 with her 20 good shells and since I cant get the old Winchester XXs in 6s I made the switch no regrets.

NC_10

Would you happen to have a pattern photo of the the .685 GT with the HW # 7's ?

Thanks

steveo

Not the best and I'm not much of a pellet counter but do pattern shells before using them to hunt with, this was one of the first I shot with the 685GT 30yards a tad to the right but again like I said they work well and I am satisfied by them.

NC_10

Quote from: steveo on March 25, 2014, 12:44:56 PM
Not the best and I'm not much of a pellet counter but do pattern shells before using them to hunt with, this was one of the first I shot with the 685GT 30yards a tad to the right but again like I said they work well and I am satisfied by them.

Nice thanks for the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk