turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

West Alabama Gobbling

Started by triplebeard, March 03, 2014, 11:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplebeard

No gobbling in West Alabama yet.  It's been toocold.  From what I have observed the last 20 years the weather controls when they start gobbling in my area more than the days getting longer.  I would like to hear other opinions on this.

fsu33952

I heard two gobble Saturday. Once each. One of those gobbled a cackling hen I scared out of a tree that flew down the holler at him. My nephew heard 7. One of those gobbled about 50 times. I think it has more to do with body weight than the weather. When it is this cold there isn't a lot for them to fatten up on. Public land especially. That's why turkeys always gobble better on hunting club lands where they tend to have more to eat.

HARDCORE

"Are they gobbling in West Alabama?"

From what I observed this past weekend, I'd have to say that they're ready to die. It's ON!

HC

SSCsnood

they cut loose in my neck of the woods in west centeral Alabama....heard easily 50 gobbles both mornings, toms still bunched up though but they are ready! too bad the weather looks so cruddy for this week >:(

GomerPyle

SSCsnood and HARDCORE...where in West Alabama are you guys located (generally speaking)? 
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

HARDCORE

Quote from: GomerPyle on March 12, 2014, 11:37:41 AM
SSCsnood and HARDCORE...where in West Alabama are you guys located (generally speaking)?

Marengo, Greene, Hale, and Tuscaloosa county.

HC

GomerPyle

Quote from: HARDCORE on March 12, 2014, 10:52:18 PM

Marengo, Greene, Hale, and Tuscaloosa county.

HC

Oh cool!.....I live in Tuscaloosa county (northport) and will be hunting there and down in Greensboro.  last year was my first year to turkey hunt, had some working but never sealed the deal.  hope to change that this year.  for the last 7 years, we haven't seen any sign of a single turkey at our farm in Greensboro...until this fall.  saw 2 hens during bow season and think I heard a big boss hen cutting up a few times.  we've been killing the snot out of coyotes and bobcats, so I'm thinking the birds are coming back now.

hoping to head down there sunday and hammer my first bird!
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

SSCsnood

demopolis area...a little south east of there

bamagtrdude

Gobbling good in Tuscaloosa & Fayette Co's now; these 2 birds were taken this morning, both gobbling.  1st one in Tuscaloosa Co; 2nd in Fayette Co.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)