OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

haint gobble

Started by yelpertom, March 02, 2014, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpertom

Been practicing the haint and got it down good cant.wait to use this call!!! It definitely sounds like a gobble and I took audio of it from my phone at 100 yards and closing and it sounds like a real gobbler!!!! Anyone use this in the field? If so how'd it work

bamagtrdude

I haven't used the Haint (although YouTube "Josh Smallwood Haint" & you can watch him work it really well) -- but, I did pickup a Knight & Hale Hale Fire gobble call last year for 2 stubborn birds in this one area.  It worked great; they gobbled right back to it.  *BUT*, I would say this - make sure of the bird you're hunting, b/c a fully-loaded gobble *could* scare him off.  What I did (that worked) was gobble like a weakling - kinda half-jake/puny gobbler type deal, and they hammered right back to it just about every time.

If you're hunting a fully mature gobbler, then the full blow gobble shouldn't be an issue.  YMMV - but I only used this as a "last resort" tactic; I don't intend to blow it unless I really have to "challenge" the gobbler for his territory and/or jealousy of his hens.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

hookedspur

Whats the trick to making it work ? I cant get it to sound right .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Devastator

Quote from: hookedspur on March 02, 2014, 12:23:35 PM
Whats the trick to making it work ? I cant get it to sound right .
Practice,Practice,Practice.I got frustrated with mine and almost threw it away,put it down for a few days watched a few more of the how to videos then all of a sudden it clicked. Thing sounds pretty dang good.

bamagtrdude

That guy, Josh Smallwood, has several "tutorials" on how to work one & make it sound good.  What I learned last year is to not over-blow the thing - just get air going through it with a "chuck-a chuck-a", and closing your cups hands at the end of the gobble, made it sound ...  adequate.

Again, I wasn't trying to be the biggest, baddest gobbler in the woods; I was trying to be a "beat-able" gobbler with it...
---

hookedspur

Thanks I will keep trying ,BUT the noise I make sounds nothing like a gobble
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

yelpertom

If u flutter your tongue to fast it will sound like a party horn! Put the tongue behind your teeth it will be slower open your hands in the beginning then close them not completely tight !!! Thats the gobble  !!!! Just take a deep breath as if your blowing a balloon and flutter your tongue behind your teeth and that's it!!!! U can flutter your hand to get the gobble sound at the end

yelpertom

I tried posting a vid in the you tube audio section but it didn't work!!!! I try attaching a vidieo off my phone and it acts like it downloading but does nothing

allisonboatsms

I have been trying to master if for about 2 months.. I hate the dang thing!

bamagtrdude

I'll try & post a YouTube video of my running the K&H Hale Fire call tonite; effectively, it's the same thing...  I'm not saying I'm the *best* at it, but ...  I can "get it in the ballpark"...  My technique - just blow air and do a "chuck-ah chuck-ah chuck-ah" deal, inside your mouth.

Anyway, I'll cut a video & upload tonite...  Also, I saw David Hollaran (sp?) doing a gobble on a box call; I'll demonstrate that, as well -- I'm not as confident on it, but ...  again, it's in the ballpark esp for mimic'ing a weak tom/jake & appearing to be "beat-able", which is all I'm after...
---

MuddyRiver

I'm getting closer with it.  It still doesn't sound perfect but it is getting there.   You just have to keep fooling with it.   The big thing for me was I was blowing way too hard.   Relax your tongue and make a good air seal on the call.  Keep at it.  It will come together eventually.   

bamagtrdude

Quote from: MuddyRiver on March 03, 2014, 04:27:17 PM
The big thing for me was I was blowing way too hard.   Relax your tongue and make a good air seal on the call.

That's exactly what my problem was early on, too; trying to over-blow the call.  It really doesn't take much air at all, once you get the "gist" of what it takes to operate it.
---

bamagtrdude

Ok, the video is uploaded now to YouTube at:  http://youtu.be/JTKa0f5GSmI

I tried to get as close as I could to the camera so you could see everything I'm doing here.  Let me know if you've got any questions.  What I found out last year is that your gobbles don't have to be 100% perfect, each & every time.  And, I preferred to keep my gobbles short & sweet (not long & drawn out as an older, mature tom).  I wanted my gobbles to be like a younger tom or a jake, b/c I wasn't hunting with a big boy, blown-up decoy but a jake & hen decoy setup.  As it turned out, that was an excellent strategy b/c I wasn't hunting the most mature gobblers in my neck of the woods.  I ended up bagging the lesser bird, once all was said & done.

In my video, I demonstrate two methods for gobbling: one with a Knight & Hale Hale Fire gobble call (similiar to the Haint) & then with my 2-sided box call.  What I did last year - that was effective - is combine my hen calling along with a gobble every now & again, mostly at the end of a yelping sequence of calls; they hammered immediately back to that almost every time!  I was thinking back to that hunt, and we actually had hens all around us, and each time I gobbled, they just seemed like they ignored it!  :)  It was an interesting hunt, to say the least...

I bought & used the Hale Fire last year, but what I'd like to try this year is the box call gobble 'cause you could potentially combine calling on your mouth call & the box call as a hen, and then hit the box w/a gobble, and add a ton of realism into the hunt.

Hope this helps you guys get the Haint gobble call down; it's really not all that complicated, outside of just getting your tongue to produce the "chuck-ah chuck-ah" part really fast, and then cupping the call at the end of the gobble to get that "choked off" sound gobblers get at the end of their gobble.

PS: I will fully admit that I'm not the end-all/be-all expert at gobbling & the use of gobble calls, and even prefer NOT to use gobble calls much unless it's a last resort type deal, where I've tried all sorts of hen calls & the gobblers are still hung up (for whatever reason); search for Josh Smallwood on YouTube -- he demo's the Haint call quite a bit on several of his videos.  Every hunter is pursuing a gobble, so it can be dangerous to use on public lands & close to property lines - just BE CAREFUL & keep your eyes peeled for other hunters moving in!  Heck, I've even had other hunters run into my HEN CALLING - so, ya, I'm a bit antsy about running a gobble call too much!!!
---

MuddyRiver

Good video, thanks.  That "chuck-ah" is a good alternative to the tongue flutter if someone is having trouble figuring it out. 

I might add that one can add a little more realism by wavering his hand as he closes the end of the call.  I talked to a Down N Dirty rep (Mark Coin I think) at Uncle Lee's in Greenville, KY and he showed me how to do it.  He also clued me in on not blowing so hard.   Those DnD guys are amazing.  They sound better than the real thing!   

bamagtrdude

Thx man; ya, the "chuck-ah" technique is actually a trumpet playing technique (called double tonguing)...  I'll try out the "hand waver" deal you're talking about; I'm *sure* it'd add more realism, and ya -- the DnD guys are *great*!
---