OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning BPS turkey gun project

Started by Red Clay, February 28, 2014, 09:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Clay

Bought this older bps in December. 10ga with a 30" barrel.
So far the barrel is shortened to 26", the buttpad was replaced with a kickeez, the stock was shortened 1/2 in, a rail was added and a truglo 2x red dot was mounted on top. The choke is a Sumtoy .700.
The only thing I'm not pleased with is the scope but I supposed you get what you pay for.
Next up is a dip or rattlecan.

Spring Fever

Very nice!
What shell are u running with that sumtoy choke and pattern?
Been thinking of running that same choke and mag blends.
Can't wait to see finished product.

Red Clay

Nitros. I patterned the 4567 nitros when it was really cold. The results were good....posted on the forum.
I am going out next week to pattern them again plus a nitro 6 mega weight.

I hate turkeys

I had one of those guns, one gun I wished I would have kept. No good way to tote it thought about one of those two wheel golf bag carts.
I did shorten the stock so I could put the factory pad back on then a Simms slip on over that it tamed it down.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Red Clay

Yeah, it is stupid heavy. I do like how that absorbs the kick, but it is not going to be good for a morning hunt on the foot. I like a field hunt in the afternoon. I think that will be the place for it.
Here is the morning gun.

Mike Honcho

Nice project! :lol:  I use mine with a 24" barrrel for field hunting...especially if I don't have a long walk in.
Post more pics when you get it finished.

Mike Honcho

Disregard the lol in last post.....I'm not used to this damn tablet keyboard...puts stuff in if you hold key down too long.

I hate turkeys

Yep, used mine as a field gun trouble was the field was about 1 1/2miles from the truck. Another thing that helps is one of the slings with foam padding an unpadded sling will dig into your shoulder.
Now I carry an SP 10 that 1 1/2 mile.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

the Ward

Came out great! I am in the process of putting together a similar combo. What rail did you use for your scope mount? I was intending to stay with fiber optic sights on this, but try as I might my eyes just can't focus on them anymore. I got my mossy oak bottom land gun wrap in the mail yesterday and I am going to do some runnin' today to see if I can find a recoil pad.Something you may want to try for carrying the extra weight is  a safari sling. It allows you to carry across the chest or over the shoulder, it's wide and doesn't slip and spreads the weight out. I got it for waterfowling to use when wading/standing in water so the gun hangs in front at the ready while freeing my hands to use the calls. Works like a charm. Thanks to a tip on O.G. I was able to pick up a couple of h.s. strut v-pods at clearance prices from walmart.com. They juusst fit over the bps 10 barrel, so you can't use the rubber protective shims,so I may modify it slightly. Thanks for posting  the photos, got me all fired up!

Red Clay

The rail is a regular picatinny rail, but the gunsmith had to grind the front to clear the rib. The pad had to be ground too. Thanks for the suggestions on the slings!

Rockhound

I have the 24" nwtf model and its my main turkey gun. I dont mind carrying it at all. I use it for run-n-gun and field hunting.

WildTigerTrout

I own a 10 ga. BPS Stalker with 24" barrel. Mine has a B-Square saddle mount with a Tru-Glo Tru Brite open red dot, a old Tru-Glo Bansner .695 choke and a Vero Vennelli wide neopreme sling. The sling does help distribute the weight and the gun is a turkey killer for sure but it's still heavy. I don't use it when I figure I'll be running and gunning. RedClay it sounds like you are getting her setup just fine. Enjoy your "Big 10". :OGturkeyhead:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

hunter22

Here's mine. I also fitted it with a KICK EEZ recoil pad. I had the forcing cone lengthened and the trigger smoothed up and lightened. I shoot an Indian Creek .710 and a JellyHead .690 chokes. I had the receiver drilled and tapped and installed Browning bases. It has a Leupold NWTF 1X4 scope in Leupold QD rings which can be quickly removed. It has Magnum Gobble Dot sights for back-up. I mainly shoot Nitros in 4X5X7s and straight 7s. Hard to imagine a better field gun for turkeys.

the Ward

Red Clay

I like that hunter22. Especially the optics. I am not happy with the parallax of the truglo. It also is a very tight interior diameter.