OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting Sticks???

Started by TurkeyTim, February 08, 2011, 01:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyTim

I have been looking a getting a shooting stick to help with making sure the gun is up ready at all times and hopefully giving me more focus on my surroundings instead of the fatigue of holding the gun.   The fatigue usually goes away pretty quick when a turkey comes into sight but the long hours before that happens and those occasional cat naps(and who hasn't cat napped while turkey hunting ;D) I had hoped a shooting stick would help with have a gun up and ready.   The Primos shooting sticks look pretty slick being so easy to adjust the height.   

Any thoughts on what you might be using.

Tim

Basser69

I have the primos trigger stick but switched over last year to the hunters specialties (at least I think that is who made it) V-pod and love it

TurkeyTim

Reloader

When taking a young hunter I always carry a set of shooting sticks or make some out of branches.  It helps a ton to keep movement down and ensure a steady shot.  I would suggest a set vs a monopod.  You can make them easily with two carbon arrows or just buy a set of stoney point sticks.  I have a set of SP camo sticks that pack easily in the vest.  There's been many big game animals taken off of them.

I've played with the trigger sticks a bit and they are too big and clunky IMO.  I like the light weight and slim design of SP sticks.

sugarray

I love my Primos trigger stick.  I have the monopod and Reloader is right, doesn't add steadiness, just takes the weight away.  The short bipod is awesome for sitting and the tall is great for walking and stalking deer.  They are a bit pricey, but well worth it to me.  Killed 2 deer from my Gobbler Lounger and bipod this past fall

stinkpickle

I like to carry a Stoney Point Polecat monopod around and use it as a walking stick.  I use it to shoot from more during deer season, though.

Gobble!

The vpod is the best out there
It attaches to your barrel so there's nothing to carry around

pullit

I have the Stony Point sticks as well as a home made set. Have killed lots of stuff off both but never thought about using them to turkey hunt with.
Thanks now I have something else to lug around in my vest... :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

CntrlPA

I use a monopod over a set of sticks. it allows me to swivel side to side very easily if need be.