OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube's life span

Started by Crappiepro, February 28, 2014, 08:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

I got to thinking about this and thought I'd ask and see what you guy's thought.
How long does a choke tube last or hold pattern, will the choke wear out?
I mean you shoot a choke alot and run alot of shot through it could it wear or is this possible?

Just wondering :morning:

mossyoakpro

Great question....I have a GT in my 11-87 that I have had and shot for a long time, maybe 10 or more years and it still patterns as good as the day I bought it.

Interested to see what others think...
Phillippians 4:13

eddie234

Never really thought about it but i figure a quality choke woudnt wear out.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Crappiepro

I figure there's a ton of variables that go along with this.
Like tungsten verses lead, choke brand manufacture, style of the choke etc.

Pressured Gobbler

Hey I'm hear to tell ya... I'm a mechanic and I work in a caulk manufacturing facility... And I see everyday... Stainless steel cylinders being worn out by plastic seals... Now this is a cylinder that gets thousands of stroke a day and it takes months to were them out to were they start leaking by... But I'm sure if you shoot enough rounds they will show some kind of wear... But I doubt anybody can shoot enough shells to really wear on out

Skeeterbait

With lead I don't think any of us will ever shoot enough shells in our lifetime to wear one out.  With HTL shot it depends on the wads.  For instance Winchester always used a really thick shot cup to protect the barrel.  Hevi has not always used a heavy shot cup and I remember reading of scoring taking place.  A choke with wad stopper rings in it can get the edge of the ring dinged and wore down from HTL also if the shot cup is not thick enough to protect them from the hard HTL shot.

SKFOOTER

I personally feel that they pattern better after several break-in shots and will continue to pattern better after each shot. :OGturkeyhead:

vaturkey

I think this is a good question for Clark Bush since he probably shoots more in a year than we do in a lifetime !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

ILIKEHEVI-13

I never have shot a choke out.  I would say most chokes will last probably forever with most loads with todays wads. 

tomstopper

I have had the same one on my win 1300 for almost 20 yrs and it still patterns fine. I doubt I will ever shoot enough rounds to change that...

SumToy

Yes the will at some point go bad.  The chokes with the steps go faster then the slick choke.  Lead chokes last longest.  Then HTL chokes.  The TSS I don't even offer a warranty on them.

Think about the blades on your lawn mower.  They wear out gutting grass unless you like the one at the house they cut up everything with it.  :TrainWreck1:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I know nothing last actually forever, but I doubt most of us here under normal shooting with most chokes will ever shoot a choke out before we are 6 ft under. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I used to be a big dove hunter and shot a lot of rounds each year.  Again with most chokes you'll never ever phase them shooting lead loads. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vaturkey on February 28, 2014, 02:09:39 PM

I think this is a good question for Clark Bush since he probably shoots more in a year than we do in a lifetime !   :icon_thumright:
I have one choke tube that I've been shooting since 2005 that has had literally thousands of HTL rounds through over the last 9 years. The interior is beautiful, very high polished from use, and it shoots better today than when it was new back then.

I have never done more to it than deep clean it and dry brush it from time to time.

There is a break in period for most chokes, at least in my experience, and after that period they seem to shoot better than when they are brand new.

I used to recommend that folks shoot a box of low brass, inexpensive shells through any new choke before patterning it. It's still a very good idea but I know with the cost of all shotshells today, folks may be reluctant to do that.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."