turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for J blackburn

Started by Thomas6689, February 27, 2014, 06:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

I'm am thinkin about ordering two or three mouth calls from gooserbat what would u recommend. Thanks

jblackburn

Depends on what you are looking for in a mouth call, but my favorites are:

1) Hillbilly - higher pitched and raspy, easy to control good all around call

2) Bacon (VERY close second) - just a dang good all around call, mellow yelps with a touch of rasp, clucks well, cuts well, I like kee
keeing on it as well

3) Heckler (close third) - decent pitch, VERY raspy but also cuts and purrs very well. Has that nasty old boss hen sound to it

4) Double Bit - This is our best selling call and the more I play it, the more I like it.  Similar in pitch to the Hillbilly, not as raspy.  I've never ran too many batwing style calls, but lots of people like it.

Sam also builds a red, white, and green ghost cut that I love, but it will run you a couple bucks more since he doesn't build many of those per year.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Thomas6689

Ok thanks for the info this makes my decision easier lol

rafsobbob

I have a question pick me pick me pick me, any good instructional tapes I can make noise but not sure how to make the correct sounds, have fun talking to myself in my work van
My Grace Card "I promise to pray for you everyday, ask for your forgiveness, grant you the same, and be your friend ............... forever"

jblackburn

Quote from: rafsobbob on February 27, 2014, 09:58:48 PM
I have a question pick me pick me pick me, any good instructional tapes I can make noise but not sure how to make the correct sounds, have fun talking to myself in my work van

Instructional as far as turkey sounds? or mouth call usage?

For turkey sounds, I picked up a copy of Tree Top Turkeys and I listen to it quite a bit.

http://www.judgmentgamecalls.com/

For mouth call info, I have Scott Ellis' Mouth Call Magic.  I think Hooks and Shane Simpson have one (it might be on  youtube??) called Mouth Calls Made Easy (again, I think). I have not seen that one, though.

Also on youtube, Joe Slaton (Motherlode Calls) has some good videos, this purring video has helped me more than any of the others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOX3cgUoIi4

Otherwise, practice and practice more!  You don't have to sound like a competition caller with a mouth call to be effective!  I'm not sure a turkey hen could ever win a contest!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Scratch that, Hooks/Shane Simpson's video is called Mouth Call Mechanics

http://www.callingallturkeys.com

scroll down a bit and there is a 15 minute video

www.gooserbatcalls.com

dlewis82nd

I would sure suggest spending the couple extra bucks on that red, green, and white ghost cut.....I fell in love with mine instantly! And hillbilly is my number one mouth call aswell