OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen Decoy

Started by tjfish, February 08, 2011, 01:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjfish

I was curious what the consensus was on hen decoys. I generally just use one to limit all the gear I have to carry. Let me know what you guys think.....upright or feeding. I hunt bow season, public land and it always seems to be on the front end of peak activity. Thanks for the help.
Tim

bird

I prefer an upright......

C_W

Upright DSD for us too! :icon_thumright:

CW

PANYHunter

If im using decoys i will use an upright hen.  By the way nice pic Bird

tjfish

Thanks for the feedback guys.

vaturkey

Quote from: bird on February 08, 2011, 01:47:27 PM
I prefer an upright......

SAME HERE  !!!

NICE PIC BIRD
Vaturkey

chatterbox

Featherflex hen in the upright position.

Basser69

Usually upright but I had a upright decoy tip nose down last year due to some wind. It was the first time I had ever seen 5 birds (2 longbeards & 3 hens) that ran wide-open down a hill. Don't know what they were thinking she was looking at but anyway, 1 got a free ride home with me in the bed of my pickup.

I used the same nose down set-up in that same little green patch two weeks later to let my step-son kill his first longbeard. I made him watch that bird for an hour and fifteen minutes strutting before I would let him wack that bird.

tjfish

Ack

One upright DSD hen gets a vote from me also....it's all you need.

Nature's Echo Calls ProStaff

TauntoHawk

just bought my first good decoy, upright hen

I feel like a feeding hen would be easier in tall grass or thick woods to go unseen from a distance, if all i hunted was plowed fields id get a feeder i guess. ill tray and add a jake and a feeder next year if money allows
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

sugarray

Quote from: Basser69 on February 08, 2011, 04:47:30 PM
I made him watch that bird for an hour and fifteen minutes strutting before I would let him wack that bird.

Why in the world would you do this?

FullChoke

Quote from: Muskie03 on February 09, 2011, 08:02:44 PM
Miss Sexy

Muskie,

Is that a Turkey Skinz cover on your hen decoy, or something you made yourself?

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

timbrhuntr