turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A good read:P.H.Capstick

Started by the Ward, February 26, 2014, 03:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

For those of you suffering from cabin fever looking for some good reading, I would like to suggest you check out the books by Peter Hathaway Capstick. "Death in the Long Grass" is a good one to start with. Most of his books are on African hunting, but the stories are very good and exciting. He has a ton of books and every one is an excellent read, even if your not into African hunting. You will not be disappointed. I have nearly the complete library of his works and every one has exciting hunting tales that run from hunting in Africa, south America, and the U.S.A. Check them out!

Old Gobbler

Death in the Long Grass is a classic
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

FullChoke

Death on the Long Grass is a masterfully written book by someone who lived that life. I felt as if I were right next to him on safari, complete with shortness of breath and faster pulse rates. I have read all of his books since finding that one.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

chcltlabz

Quote from: FullChoke on February 27, 2014, 07:20:11 AM
Death on the Long Grass is a masterfully written book by someone who lived that life. I felt as if I were right next to him on safari, complete with shortness of breath and faster pulse rates. I have read all of his books since finding that one.

I have too, but none of them touch Death in the Long Grass.  They're all great in their own way, but his first book definitely got the best of his stories.

Death in a Lonely Land is good too.  I like that there are a few stories in that one from when he hunted in South America.  Apparently that wasn't nearly as interesting down there, because I was really looking forward to stories about panthers.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

the Ward

That man lived an amazing life, I am happy he was able to put it down on paper.  I remember when I was young reading some short stories condensed from his books that were reprinted in Outdoor Life magazine. I think it was in the late 70s. After reading those articles I had my mind made up on what I wanted to do in life, lol!!  It was "bloody" intoxicating reading for a  kid growing up on a dairy farm. My Dad wasn't too amused with me stalking our native "cape buffalo" with my sapling and bailer twine longbow replete with "poison" cattail arrows....... :z-dizzy: