Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Indian creek browning bps 10 gauge choke ?

Started by NC_10, March 03, 2014, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC_10

Hello fellow turkey hunters i have recently joined this forum and have found it very informative.

Just curious to see if anyone is shooting an Indian creek in their Browning 10 gauge bps, and what kind of patterns and distances they are getting performance wise with the constriction/shot combo. I recently purchased an Indian creek (.665) for my bps 12 ga 3.5" and got excellent results with the new Winchester xr loads. 

Thanks

Rockhound

I hate turkeys

I had one, shot the old green Rem. Hevi 6's don't remember the exact numbers but I do remember it punched a hole at 20 yards.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

hunter22

I shoot an Indian Creek .710 in mine. With Nitros my gun is in the mid to high 300s at 40 yards. I don't hunt it a lot because of the weight but I have killed gobblers up close and at a pretty good distance with it. I have never shot anything that patterns like I get with my BPS 10.

NC_10

Thanks for the info guys i have only had the original browning extra full turkey choke that came with it and 3 barrels a 24",26" and 28". My father purchased the gun for me when i turned about 8 years old to hunt with , graduated from a Remington 870 3in. He has hunted with his since the early 80's with regular lead #6's. If y'all have any additional info about the chokes/load combinations that y'all have tested in your BPS's i would like to know the best fit combo y'all found for your BPS and if the certain barrel length would make difference.

Thanks

Rockhound

If you shoot lead only get a hastings 675

If you shoot hevishot/heavyweight/lead get a kicks 690

NC_10

I will check them out. I get drastic pattern differences from my 26" barrel compared to his 24" with the same x-full browning tube and loads. The 24" barrel will make the 26" look non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockhound

I have patterned the same from a 28" barrel and a 24" and there hasn't been a difference

NC_10

I have wondered if the 26" is an older barrel that was not backbored from the factory due to the poor pattering compared to the 24". As you said the 28" barrel i own shoots with the 24" with the stock full tube.

On another note. I spoke with Stuart ruehling of Indian creek choke tubes yesterday concerning 10 gauge chokes and got a recommendation for a .690 with nitro hevi shot brand shells.

Miburmanelly

my bps 10 ga  26" barrel with .690 indian creek and Nitro's "mega-weight" straight 6's  or their 4/5/6/7 mega-weight combo = my recommendation.   I have spent ALOT of time and money shooting and testing everything available out there for the bps 10. 

NC_10

Quote from: Miburmanelly on March 13, 2014, 11:54:56 AM
my bps 10 ga  26" barrel with .690 indian creek and Nitro's "mega-weight" straight 6's  or their 4/5/6/7 mega-weight combo = my recommendation.   I have spent ALOT of time and money shooting and testing everything available out there for the bps 10.

Would you happen to have a picture of a pattern you shot with the .690 and nitros. Ive seen a pattern with the .710 and nitros. Just curious.

Thanks

Miburmanelly

I have no pictures...sorry.  please read 2 previous posts i wrote   may 16, 2013 and april 24, 2012.  I called Nitro today to order more mega weight 210 loads....and unfortunately they are out of powder for any of the 210 loads. I very much enjoy printing paper as much i do hunting turkeys....however looks like less printing paper this spring with no 210 loads available. Good luck in your adventures in testing.

Miburmanelly

forgot to mention on above entry...i did have the forcing cone lengthened on this 26" barrel

NC_10

Thanks for the info
MIburmanelly