turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#5 and 6 shot

Started by Sparkchaser427, February 24, 2014, 07:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkchaser427

Got out this evening and shot patterns with #5 and 6 Remington and Winchester #6. The Remington #6 was good with about 123 in a 10in circle. The other 2 not so good.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Sparkchaser427

Gun is a Silver Eagle 12ga with a tightwad choke.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Sparkchaser427 on February 24, 2014, 09:33:33 PM
Gun is a Silver Eagle 12ga with a tightwad choke.

what size was the Tightwad .665?????
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Sparkchaser427

Oconeeguy

I have had trouble getting 3" Rem lead shells to pattern worth a darn in my BPS. I am only shooting #5 in lead though. Best I ever got was 96 in 10" at 40 yds with a XXXComp-N-Choke .670

Most have been in the 50 - 60 range with same shell and choke. With 3" Longbeards #5s out of a Jellyhead .670 & a IC .675 i have finally broken 100 hits.

Sparkchaser427

I have been getting really good results with the Remington shells. I tried the Hornady and Winchester and they didn't do so good. My gun just likes the Remington shells.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

A lot of folks have had bad experiences with the Remington Turkey loads.

But every shotgun is different, and if yours likes Remington, feed it what it likes.

Some people have gotten much better results overall after doing a "deep cleaning" of their barrel's bore.  If you do a search for deep cleaning, there will be numerous threads to read.  It works.

d.winsor

I never had much luck with Remington or winchester shells other than the winchester supreme HV #5's. At 40 yards using a .665 choke, killer pattern.  If I were you I would try the winchester Longbeard shell, I am partial to .665 but they are making about any choke they are put thru look better than any other lead shell on the market thru the same choke.  I don't like #6 shot, I find too many shot in the 1/4" cardboard at 40 yards.  Winchester Longbeard shell #5's thru my gun with a .665 at 40 yards is so tight that I will not hunt with it.  If I were to flinch I would miss.  If your looking for a tight lead pattern Longbeards is it.  They also make Longbeards with #4 shot also.