turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 13 vs Longbeard XR

Started by tha bugman, February 24, 2014, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d.winsor

I always thought #7's were light at 40 yards, but I never shot HTL.  What gun and choke were you using.  As far as the patterns I am like everyone else, they are both good.  But I would lean towards the Long Beard #6's, personally I like #5's.

Longshanks

Ive been hearing allot of talk about the lead loads being less than ideal over 40yds, I agree. Something that no one seems to want to mention is that there can be bad results trying to shoot over 40 yds even with HTL. I know I am not the only one that has seen this..From guiding to hunting with partners with high performance guns at 40..seeing folks try to take long shots with guns that turn amazing patterns at 40yds... can yield less than satisfactory results. Allot of factors involved..mainly the turkey is alive and is subject to moving. These movements aren't as noticeable when most of the turkey is covered up with a shotgun bead and barrel. The other factors, wind, limbs, low light conditions etc also play a huge factor. Shooting under 40yds has been the most productive goal for me and my guiding friends regardless of whether it's lead or HTL. That being said I don't hunt any different regardless of the gun/ choke/shell combo I hunt with. I make sure the gun (12g or 20g) shoots a productive efficient pattern at 40 yds...and hunt. Call the turkey inside 40 and i rarely miss or lose a turkey. The only turkey I have missed in allot of years was a turkey that came through a fence line behind me and I missed him at 7 steps. I called he and his buddy back and killed the turkey at 38yds.
    Hunting this way I have killed a limit (3 turkeys) every year for the last 23 years. If I had to let the turkey walk away..I was able to come back and hunt him again. No loss and sometimes a for sure shot the next time.
    That being said, if it were me, there would be no difference whether I hunted with either one of the patterns shown above. Result would be..dead turkeys. :icon_thumright:

Twowithone

Was the pattern with the 243 the no. # 7 shot. Their both good patterns for sure no wiggle room there. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

taylorjones20

What length barrel and what choke?  I shot the 3.5" #5  longbeard out of my 870 sm 28" barrel with jellyhead .660 and didn't get no where near that kind of pattern. However the Hevi #7 is killer!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

darn2ten

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 05, 2014, 09:26:35 PM
What length barrel and what choke?  I shot the 3.5" #5  longbeard out of my 870 sm 28" barrel with jellyhead .660 and didn't get no where near that kind of pattern. However the Hevi #7 is killer!
Over choked for a 28" barrel. We tried the same thing, then screwed in a .665 choke and did much better. Was getting around 150 to 160 with the .660, and from 180 to 190 with the .665. Now when we tried the 3.5" #6 the .660 did better going around 230.