turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Custom vs. Commercial calls

Started by FullChoke, February 24, 2014, 01:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I would love to have a vest full of handmade custom calls, but I labor under certain systems conspiring to keep me broke. I have a few handmade calls that I have compiled through the years, how about you? Do you have any handmade, custom calls and how do you like them in comparison to the mass produced industry standards (Primos, Quaker Boy, etc.) ?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

I have a few in each of those categories,mostly pot calls,and I cant really say there is a bad one in the bunch.I seem to always have my cheapo Primos ol' betsy slate with me because it always works.I would say that I do lean more towards using the custom calls more because I know they've been tested before they got to me as opposed to a machine punching out something and sticking it in plastic.

Even though I paid money to get it,I feel like I kinda owe a callmaker something by using their call because it was made for ME,not just a random pick off a store shelf.

This years lineup:

Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen slate
Titanium/olivewood made by pappy
Primos Ol' Betsy slate

several different strikers

Primos boxcutter boxcall

Primos dbl reed mouth call

Will have a slate/olivewood(pappy),primos jackpot glass,primos power crystal,and 2 homemade(slate/aluminum/walnut & slate/glass/walnut)calls in my bag that stays in the truck.I'll mix and match thru the season

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gophert

I have some of both.  I'm not particular to either.  I have my favorite mouth call and everything else comes after that. 

FullChoke

I have several calls made by well known callmakers, some sound great, some not so much. At various times I also carry calls that I have made: wingbone, cowhorn/wingbone and a slate call made from a baby terrapin shell (this actually sounds really sweet and virginal with the right striker). I will be using Hooks, Primos and K&H mouth calls (the last two because I found them wildly mispriced just before they started stocking the new turkey merchandise). I can make more realistic turkey sounds and quiet mumbling with a mouth call than anything else I carry. I also have a boat paddle box call autographed by Neil Cost that occasionally makes it to the woods.

Cheers    ;D :happyshake:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: gophert on February 25, 2014, 08:08:28 AM
I have some of both.  I'm not particular to either.  I have my favorite mouth call and everything else comes after that. 

+1 to that.  Both "work"; just depends on the bird, that particular day, that dictates which call I use.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

bamagtrdude

Quote from: turkeydawg on February 25, 2014, 10:12:46 AM
I have plenty of custom calls and i will say this, without playing them yourself, you're opening yourself to disapointment.  There are very few callmakers from whom I'd buy a call without playing it first. 

Agreed - *BUT* have any of you had this happen?  You buy a call 'cause you think it sounds *GREAT* after you play it in the store/at the house/etc.  Then, you get out on a hunt, and ...  it sounds completely different?!?  I've been a musician all my life, and I've typically had a pretty good ear for stuff -- but there are times when this happens, and that's really frustrating.
---

FullChoke

Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 25, 2014, 10:18:33 AM
Quote from: turkeydawg on February 25, 2014, 10:12:46 AM
I have plenty of custom calls and i will say this, without playing them yourself, you're opening yourself to disapointment.  There are very few callmakers from whom I'd buy a call without playing it first. 

Agreed - *BUT* have any of you had this happen?  You buy a call 'cause you think it sounds *GREAT* after you play it in the store/at the house/etc.  Then, you get out on a hunt, and ...  it sounds completely different?!?  I've been a musician all my life, and I've typically had a pretty good ear for stuff -- but there are times when this happens, and that's really frustrating.

Change of venue? Arena vs. dive bar.

Eric Gregg

Here is MS the humidity is havoc on calls. I have had it change the pitch on a certain box call that I have. I have tried to rely more on mouth calls and slates.

bamagtrdude

Yep, I'm over here in Alabama; humidity is a bear; could be doing the same thing to me, never really thought about it like that...
---

alclark2

I'll only buy a commercial call at the store if I can take it out of the box and play it right there. Some sound good and others not so good. My wife hates this HAHA
Hoosier Hunt n Fish