OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Annual post season picture thread

Started by Garrett Trentham, March 04, 2014, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

Nothing helps a hangover like more beer! Lets see some pics from this past year to help hold us through the March drought.

King Eider in NC

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Garrett Trentham

Diver Slam with 4 prime drakes

Veterans hunt our Delta Chapter hosted for these four vets.

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Garrett Trentham

Swan hunt with my father and grandfather.

Bird number 200 for the season.

Youth hunt hosted by our Delta chapter. 16 kids with 32 bluebills. What a day!
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

cuppednlocked

the Ward

Nice photos, thanks for sharing them. Looks like you had a great season!

SS Josh

Quote from: the Ward on March 08, 2014, 09:39:00 AM
Nice photos, thanks for sharing them. Looks like you had a great season!
:agreed: Nice pictures!
:cross2: Colossians 3:23 :cross2:

calebb

Season started strong but the weather didn't cooperate too well towards the end of the year. Any season with good friends is a good one though!

tomstopper

Nice pics guys. Glad you had a good season filled with lots of fun....

quackaddict

Here's a few from my season.

And my favorite from the year.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Marc

I hunt in the central valley of California in what is referred to as the grasslands.   This area consists of close to 200,000 acres of marsh that is primarily duck clubs, with some refuges and private reserves as well.

Teal  are our staple bird, but we kill a lot of pintail, widgeon, spoonies, gadwall, and in recent years we kill a lot of canvasbacks as well as redheads.  Mallards are not rare, but a mallard in the bag is always a prize as they are far less common than any of the birds mentioned above.

This past year was the worst duck season I can ever remember, probably in large part due to a lack of weather, and thus a lack of migration (we only had about 1/3 to 1/2 of our normal amount of migrating birds this season).  Below are some hunts from this past season:

Typical grasslands teal shoot (14 teal):

Pheasant opener at my duck club with a 2 bird limit of pheasant, and the only duck of the day (we call this the November doldrums):

Christmas morning hunt with my father (2 cans, 2 redheads, 4 sprig, 6 gw teal and a bonus snow goose):

Last day of the season 4 mallards, 3 widgeon, 3 honkers (I do not kill many mallards, and honkers are a rare treat for me):

That last picture is not in the grasslands, and is in fact where I did a considerable amount of my turkey hunting this past season...  Hunted that pond for ducks on 2 other occasions without firing a shell...  Third time was a charm.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.