turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal HW #6 ?

Started by highwaygun, February 23, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highwaygun

I just thinking about picking up a few boxes of the number 6 HW and was just wondering if any of yall had any experience with them and how they pattern.

Old Gobbler

I haven't shot them , but at one time I did want to seriously use them, until I shot the #7 hw at a piece of 1/2 hardwood ply at 40 yards and the entire payload blew right through the plywood , completely through .....  I came to the conclusion that the 7 s had double the knockdown I would ever dream of needing

I would imagine the #6s in hw would be way harder hitting than the 7's 'give them a try and tell us how they work --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

highwaygun

I just order 2 boxes from Sportsmans guide gonna run them through my H&R with trulock .680 and see how they do. I will keep yall posted.

Rockhound

I would be careful withthat tight of a choke, I shot some federal flight control lead #5s through a hastings 675 and the pressure of the shot and wad through that choke blew the back of the wadding off

highwaygun

What do you recommend?  I currently shoot the federal HW #7 out of it with good results. I'm not the kind of guys that patterns a bunch of shells. I use to shot the stock choke with federal lead #4 and only pattern them a few times at 40 and never really counted then just knew it was good enough. Killed 20 plus birds with that setup. I ordered the trulock and hw 7 at same time and only shot 3 shells at paper all over 215 at 40. I have killed 6 birds with them since. I just wanted some with a Lil more punch to try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rockhound

If it worked with 7s it will work with 6s but if the 7s shot that good the 6s are pointless

highwaygun

True I guess I just wanted to spend some money and kill a few pieces of paper. Lol

surehuntsalot

HW #6's are bad news on turkeys
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

shotgun_oly

Quote from: highwaygun on February 23, 2014, 07:32:36 PM
I just thinking about picking up a few boxes of the number 6 HW and was just wondering if any of yall had any experience with them and how they pattern.

Shot lots of it :icon_thumright: I was originally looking for #7's but the 6's were half the price for whatever reason so I picked up a bunch  :happy0064:  Out of the Hastings non ported  .710 - .705 - .690- .685 & jellyhead .695 the .680 produced the best patterns with my gold 10 and showed no signs of problems with the choke whatsoever. But then again if you've ever seen a Hastings choke you know how sturdy they are built.
Here's a link to one of the patterns with the 6's & that 685 http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25259.msg271625.html#msg271625

Best of luck
Oly

Rockhound

I had great results out of the hastings 685, but I had the same results out of the kicks 690 and it shot other shells better than the hastings so I opted for it.

Those hastings are built like a tank, but my 675 is dangerous with the fcw I will not be shooting anymore from it.

Every year I kick myself for not buying a complete set of Hastings chokes for my 10, the 675 I have, I think I have $6 in it lol

vaturkey

Quote from: highwaygun on February 23, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

You should likem alot cause they sure will tear up a Campbells Soup Can !  :TooFunny:
Vaturkey