turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

North West Florida

Started by StrutStopper_71, February 23, 2014, 06:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrutStopper_71

Got out on Saturday early morning and heard one bird on the roost a few times before fly down. The weather had been in the 70's all week then a front came through and it was in the 30's Saturday morning so that may have slowed them a little. Wanted to get out today but it has rained no stop all day. Temps should rise again this week so I will be back next weekend. Have still been seeing larger groups of gobblers grouped together. I believe it will start to get better In another week or two. Three more weeks and counting until the season starts! :z-guntootsmiley:

StrutStopper_71

Well it was a little warmer this morning in the low 40's. I went to a spot that I have never really hunted but knew there were turkeys there. I heard two birds having a gobbling contest for about 15 mins back and forth then I eased back out and went home. They were pretty fired up this morning, two more weeks and counting!

StrutStopper_71

Heard one bird on the roost Sunday morning not quite as active as they were Saturday morning. Only two more weeks!

StrutStopper_71

Got to listen before work this morning and man they were hammering pretty good on the roost three different gobblers pretty close together. Got some reports from some other guys yesterday on there land and said that they heard a lot of birds 9 or 10 and even one on the ground around 9:30 yesterday morning so I think they are finally picking it up a little bit. Little bit of rain coming and hoping it doesn't cool back down. lows are are in the 40's and highs in the low 70's just right if it will stay that way two more weeks they should be wide open.

FL-Boss

I'm in North Central FL -   pretty much the same thing.  I have about 4 different properties to hunt, all within 10 miles. Some of the birds are hammering real good... others not as much. But they are all gobbling a little bit at least until fly down.

Cooler, rainy weather coming later this week might quiet things down a bit.  But if stays warm and sunny for opening week.. it should be about perfect in regards to timing.

StrutStopper_71

What county in are you in? I have some family over that way around mayo. I'm in okaloosa county.

FL-Boss

Hamilton.. not too far from Mayo

Panhandle_strutter

New to the forum..gobbling has been slow the past couple of days due to cold, rainy weather. The previous 2 weekends heard some good gobbling from the roost and even a couple of birds around 8:00 on the ground at my places in Calhoun County

FL-Boss

This weather has been screwed up over the last few week and it hasn't held a pattern for more than 2 days...   high 70's one day.. freezing the next. ...
One thing is for sure ... we have had too much rain... man it's wet out there.

StrutStopper_71

Can't catch a break around here it was pretty nice like you said and now for the last two days it has been freezing and raining! But the weekend is supposed to clear up and be in the 60's. I am hoping it will stay nice all next week for the opener. Youth season opens this weekend mabe they will sound off for some of the youngsters. As far as wet it has rained more here in the last year than I can remember but I guess it's better than the 4 or 5 year drought we had. But I will be back in the woods listening this weekend.

longbeards

Guys keep posting your Fla reports,,,I am retiring and a long time turkey hunting buddy are traveling to Fla to finish our Grand and his Super Slam,,,,Wish I could have found private property to hunt on!! Going to be hunting public,,and I have read horror tales of Fla public,,,best longbeards

Panhandle_strutter

Waited until the rain broke yesterday around 10:00 and rode up to my place to check a few trail cameras and swap out SD cards. No gobbling, but I did peek around a corner of one of our plots and saw a gobbler strutting with hens down in the other corner. Guess I'll go back at night sometime to swap the cards. Definitely the most rain we've had in a while, wading water everywhere I go. Taking my fiancé' little brother tomorrow to take advantage of our youth hunt and get some live practice in before our regular season starts next weekend!

StrutStopper_71

Got out again this am and man it was pretty cool it was in the mid 30's. Wasn't  sure how they would gobble, but I ended up getting pretty close to three longbeards on the roost and they were getting after it pretty good until fly down. Then they slowed a bit and only gobbled a handful of times On the ground.Haven't listened for these birds yet until this morning but have a lot of trail cam pics of them throughout deer season. Youth season opened today but haven't heard many reports of any getting killed. Back at them again in the morning to try to find a few more. The weather is supposed to warm a little bit this week maybe they will keep picking it up! One more week!

dadsahuntin

Central fl. Kenansville, gobblin just after daybreak. Heard two not far from each other. We were on youth hunt. They came in forty minutes later with four hens. We'll my boys made sure the ladies went away alone.
A lil cool front came in last night. This morn was low fifties but warming quickly. The Toms seemed calm and not really fired up yet but still interested. There getting there.
Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

Panhandle_strutter

First trip to Washington County this morning and only heard one but was by far the best gobbling I have heard yet. By the time I got to the area he was in it was nearly 8:00 and he was hammering away on his own very frequently..one of those birds we all enjoy hunting. Ready to wake up and actually be able to take my shotgun with me, just listening is getting old!! Saturday can't get here soon enough.