OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

guys shooting these tight patterns - using beads or sights?

Started by MikeStaten, February 23, 2014, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

I'd add a sight to mine but it's a bit of a pain taking it off after turkey season and re-sighting it in before turkey season, plus it get's expensive shooting these rounds that are $5+ a piece.  I may look for a sight that I can remove easily and put it back on the rib without impacting the zero too much.  That way it will only take a few rounds to get it zeroed each season.

SCDieselDawg

I'm running a scope on my main gun, red dot on the back up. And Fiber optic sights on the 20s.

trkehunr93

Frank G

Quote from: ericjames on February 27, 2014, 10:37:57 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 25, 2014, 11:48:03 AM
Truglo Magnum Gobble Dots for me.  I sure with that name was shorter like TG-MGD

I liked mine, the only problem I ever had with them was the front sight fiber optic broke and fell out of them 2 different times. It's no problem all you have to do is get another piece of fiber optic burn one end cut it about an 1/8" long burn that end and you ate ready to go again. I got mine from a local archery shop. I replaced both of mine with fastfire's

Had the same issue with them on my duck gun. Same fix as you BUT what I did was to place a small dab of clear silicon under both front and rear. Holds them in place nicely also absorbs shock no visibility problems at all.  :icon_thumright: Worked for me and you can still remove them if need be.

Frank G  In Tennessee

ericjames

Quote from: Frank G on February 27, 2014, 11:17:04 AM
Quote from: ericjames on February 27, 2014, 10:37:57 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 25, 2014, 11:48:03 AM
Truglo Magnum Gobble Dots for me.  I sure with that name was shorter like TG-MGD

I liked mine, the only problem I ever had with them was the front sight fiber optic broke and fell out of them 2 different times. It's no problem all you have to do is get another piece of fiber optic burn one end cut it about an 1/8" long burn that end and you ate ready to go again. I got mine from a local archery shop. I replaced both of mine with fastfire's

Had the same issue with them on my duck gun. Same fix as you BUT what I did was to place a small dab of clear silicon under both front and rear. Holds them in place nicely also absorbs shock no visibility problems at all.  :icon_thumright: Worked for me and you can still remove them if need be.

That's a pretty good idea..

nate829

I use a truglo glo-dot fiber optic sight on my Browning BPS

SKFOOTER

Quote from: MikeStaten on February 27, 2014, 10:43:07 AM
I'd add a sight to mine but it's a bit of a pain taking it off after turkey season and re-sighting it in before turkey season, plus it get's expensive shooting these rounds that are $5+ a piece.  I may look for a sight that I can remove easily and put it back on the rib without impacting the zero too much.  That way it will only take a few rounds to get it zeroed each season.
In that case just get a Hi-Viz Fiber Optic front sight that is held on by magnets and made specifically for the rib width of your barrel; easily attached and easily removed. :OGturkeyhead:

Sparkchaser427

Longshanks

Quote from: bushwhacker on February 23, 2014, 09:51:55 PM
Tru Glo pro series sights on my 21" and 23" barreled 870's and beads on the 26" and 28" 870's. Have had a set of tru Glo sights on one of my guns for 12 years and they have never come loose and I have never adjusted them.

Gotta love that, 4 870's set up for turkey hunting..that's a turkey hunter that means business. :fud:

djenkins32

mightyjoeyoung

I have a sighting device of some kind on ALL of my turkey guns.  I shoot instinctively with no sights for all my wingshooting, but then you aren't AIMING a gun at a goose or duck crossing in front of you at 35 mph.  You DO however NEED to aim at turkey's head with today's super tight patterning guns imo, ESPECIALLY if he's within 25 yards as the pattern can be as small as the diameter of a basketball or smaller at those close distances.   I like red dot type sights.  Easy to use, reliable and though, yes, they do take batteries, if you take the time to replace them every few years, you should never have an issue.  Now if you don't like them just because you keep forgeting to turn the darn things on, then I don't know what to tell ya. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

7magmike

I am using the dead ringer beard buster sights and realy like them, they are very visible in low light.

tnturkey

on my Mossberg I shoot dead ringers on it. on my stoeger straight bead.

cnette01

I just use the standard bead on both of my Brownings, BPS and Gold.  I did send the BPS back to Browning to have it adjusted to POA with the bead.  It was 18 to 24 inches high at 30 and 40 yards when I purchased it, but Browning fixed it for me and it is dead on now at 40 yards.  I use a Jelly Head .665 choke tube on the Gold and the pattern is open enough that I have shot birds out of the air a few times in the fall seasons and at least once in the spring season.  The time that it happened in the spring season, my son had just shot one of three jakes that came into our decoys.  The other two jakes ran back to the left and we couldn't see them anymore due to some brush between them and us.  I expected those jakes to come back to their buddy who was down, but they flushed instead and I shot one of them out of the air.  I will never forget doubling with my son on a hunt!

SKFOOTER

Quote from: cnette01 on March 05, 2014, 09:31:46 AM
I just use the standard bead on both of my Brownings, BPS and Gold.  I did send the BPS back to Browning to have it adjusted to POA with the bead.  It was 18 to 24 inches high at 30 and 40 yards when I purchased it, but Browning fixed it for me and it is dead on now at 40 yards.  I use a Jelly Head .665 choke tube on the Gold and the pattern is open enough that I have shot birds out of the air a few times in the fall seasons and at least once in the spring season.  The time that it happened in the spring season, my son had just shot one of three jakes that came into our decoys.  The other two jakes ran back to the left and we couldn't see them anymore due to some brush between them and us.  I expected those jakes to come back to their buddy who was down, but they flushed instead and I shot one of them out of the air.  I will never forget doubling with my son on a hunt!
The tightest Jellyhead choke for the Browning Gold is a .670. :OGturkeyhead: